Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hooking up 2 amps

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
hey mate by the sounds of it you will need to buy 4awg power/earth cables and a distro block. do you have the RMS ratings or the current that they draw? Just look at the fuses and add them up. 8awg can carry about 50amps of current.

joshy123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vp Commodore series 2

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah mate, you'd be going for the 4AWG power/earth cable. what i did was run these to a distro block. eg run power from battery to boot (If you have amps in boot), then into a distibution block (these usually accpet 1x4awg to 2 or 4 x 8awg cable) and the same for the earth. remember to keep all the 8awg cables as short as possible. if i were you, assuming you have the rca cables already, i'd go for the fusion 4awg power cable kit at supercheap auto for $45-$50 depending on which store. then distroblocks seem cheapest at jaycar.
let me know if you need anymore help mate.
cheers.

joshy123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vp Commodore series 2
Thanks for your help so far mate, im still waiting for the amp to come, once i get it ill look into getting the power and earth cable and distibution block, i already have enough of the other cables, and then try my luck at hooking it up lol

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
haha no worries mate, it'll be easy really its not too bad, just set aside alot of time eg. a saturday not a night after work, cus then you wont end up rushing it and will be able to take all the trim apart etc to do it well.
Good luck mate.

K Lewy

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L 1997 VT S Pack; 5 Spd Man
Hey Guys Just reading through:
-Got told other day by a guy at Dick Smith Electronics, that if running to amps, they need to be FUSED (I.E Distributation block), within like a certain amount of length I.E 1 Metre.
Otherwise it is illigal, but im unsure on that ay.
Anyway, as guys above have said you will need to Run distributation block, and for negitive best to run that off the BATTERY aswell, if earthing it in boot (Of any metal, like most of usdo) can get some certain interferiance. If earthed of the battery, you will eliminate any of this interfirance.
Also you should make sure that you have the power wire running down the side with main power in the car, if not when running speakers will pick up some interferiance, but you wont if running a sub, because lower frequencies. So Check they are right, other wise have the hassle of re-wireing it.

Cheers bro

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Guys Just reading through:
-Got told other day by a guy at Dick Smith Electronics, that if running to amps, they need to be FUSED (I.E Distributation block), within like a certain amount of length I.E 1 Metre.
Otherwise it is illigal, but im unsure on that ay.
Anyway, as guys above have said you will need to Run distributation block, and for negitive best to run that off the BATTERY aswell, if earthing it in boot (Of any metal, like most of usdo) can get some certain interferiance. If earthed of the battery, you will eliminate any of this interfirance.
Also you should make sure that you have the power wire running down the side with main power in the car, if not when running speakers will pick up some interferiance, but you wont if running a sub, because lower frequencies. So Check they are right, other wise have the hassle of re-wireing it.

Cheers bro

Hey mate,
just wanted to say i've heard that too, if its not externally fused within a certain distance its illeagle.
Also, with the earthing thing, it'd be bad in my opinion to earth off the battery, as long as you find a good earth place in the car, you will provide a much stronger earth than running it a few metres from the battery. just my opinion though.

K Lewy

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L 1997 VT S Pack; 5 Spd Man
I was thinking that.
But Asked a mate who is an electronics teacher has been for 30 years and he said ya may possible get slight interferiance, Best to do it off battery, but yeah not to sure.
I have always just earthed in boot, or near my amp.

cheers man

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was thinking that.
But Asked a mate who is an electronics teacher has been for 30 years and he said ya may possible get slight interferiance, Best to do it off battery, but yeah not to sure.
I have always just earthed in boot, or near my amp.

cheers man
yeah no worries dude, i've done a few setups earthing well in the boot, i've yet to get any signal myself though, i just make sure all ends are well terminated and everything is well covered.
Cheers.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Your ground cable should be as short as possible, some places recommend never more than 3 feet. As long as the earth point is good and has solid contact than there will be no problems. There is no benefit to using the battery as the ground, as the battery itself isn't the ground, your just using ground cables from the battery to the chassis and engine, and usually these are not up to the task anyway.

As for those amps the OP will be using for their door speakers, those amps don't seem to have a HPF on them so tuning them would be difficult. Then again you could always make your own filter. Also the ebay page doesn't mention THD figures.