Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Horn issues

ChrisR91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2 Wagon
Hello All,

Well got my new VR wagon and the horn does not work all the fuses are good (tested with multi meter) But when you pull the horn bit of the string wheal The ground cable was off and when you put it were it has to go the horn still does not work and my friend told me if you touch the ground cable with the bolt it should make the horn sound but it does not? does that mean i need a new horn bit for my string wheal or could be it something else?

Thank you.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
try hotwiring the horn first, straight from the battery and an earth point. see if it works then. If it doesn't you know the horn itself is screwed. If it does work then time to work backwards for a loose wire or bad connection. I doubt you'll have to look far though, it'll either be the horn or the switch.
By "touch the ground cable to the bolt" i assume you had the car on and were also pressing the horn pad? You gotta actually push the horn for it to work.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
copper pin behind the steering wheel

Some times its the copper pin behind the steering wheel they wear out over time:bang: so maybe pull the steering wheel off and look at the pin to see if it is still making contact with the circular plate!!!:thumbsup:

ChrisR91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2 Wagon
Okay where about is the horn its self located in the VR model. also would putting a push button to the cables where the horn switch is and try that? or do you need a holden or a horn switch?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
try anything you like mate. a horn probably the most simple circuit on the car. the worst you are going to do it blow the fuse. I assume the horn is somewhere behind the front bar.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Its whats the rooster said I had this problem before there are also a couple of terminals in the plastic bit that may need to be relocated
But its easier to just replace the set up with the brass pin

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
how much

Its whats the rooster said I had this problem before there are also a couple of terminals in the plastic bit that may need to be relocated
But its easier to just replace the set up with the brass pin

What did you pay for the parts and where from, i need to do the same but just never got around to it?

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Its the plate that connects onto the brass pin is out just afew mm. My dad had the same problem, he just drilled a screw into the plate so it would hold and she is as good as gold now. Can get some pics if you like.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I got one from the wreckers they are about $10 but the trick is finding thats not stuffed