Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

horn not working im stumped..

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
Had a similar thing a while back, clockspring was the culprit.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute Series III 1999
ok so i still havnt figured it out lol, must be clock spring ? does anyone know how easy it is to get to it , and do i need to buy a new one or what?, i have swapped fuses and still nothing and horn is working off battery, i do remember a while ago it used to only work when i turned the wheel, then just nothin lol

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
I've done it on my vx a while back, dad did it on my vs though. Similar procedure I reckon. I got mine from pick a part wreckers for $16. New Is $170 I think. Pretty easy.

Disconnect battery, take out airbag fuse, then unplug the yellow airbag connector. (if you don't have an airbag, don't worry about this.)
Take off the 4 hollow torx screws holding the horn pad in (you've already done this earlier I believe) take off the nut holding the steering wheel, then carefully mark the position of the steering with a marker. Put the nut back on a few threads so that you can pull on the steering without knocking yourself out. The clockspring is clipped on. Just wedge the clips with a screw driver and remove the plugs.

For putting the clockspring back on, it's important that you put it on the right way otherwise you can break it because it moves with the steering wheel. On vx, there was a green tab you had to line up. There was also a sticker on the clockspring telling you how to line it back up. Turn the clockspring clockwise all the way. Then turn it back anticlockwise 2.5 turns until the green tab fills the gap on the front of the clock spring.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute Series III 1999
ok sooo finally starting ####in around with stuff and i found this red wire just hanging there...

1068844_478367528925181_1840259228_n.jpg

then i put that up against this little tab of metal (or anymetal ofcourse lol jjust looks like it has something to do with that) and the wiring on the end was flat not long and pointy like it is now

and i had a horn... now how do i set that up so when i click my horn buttons it will hit the metal??? thats the question lol

Last edited:

Orgman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
I had the same issue with mine. The pin wears out after a while and sticks and dosn't make proper connection with the horn ring. You probably need to get another Horn ring from the wreckers.

I end up buying a clockspring but you will need to replace the steering wheel as well. I did it on mine for $30 from pick a part.