Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Horn not working.

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
I have a VN s1 with an aftermarket steering wheel and an autotenica boss kit. when the wheel is turned from 9 o clock to 3 o clock the horn doesnt work but from 3 to 9 o clock it works fine?
when the wheel is turned anticlock wise it will work from 9-12 o'clock position. but when it is turned clock wise it will only work from 3-9 o'clock posistion.
has anyone had this problem before and know how to fix it as i need to, so i can pass rta stuff.
I have tried cleaning the contact poits on the boss kit and stuff, even woth sand paper, it doesn't make any difference.
Any information would be much appreciated.
Thgankyou.
Colin.

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
could it be wires or contacts points not linking up properly when you turn the wheel?

lazza44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2 Berlina Wagon
the spring loaded horn pin might be worn down like mine was.

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
I had problems with mine last night and fixed it today. It was the strangest thing.. The horn wouldnt work but when I turned the wheel to the right it would sound...

So I took it off and checked to see if any of the wires were pinched under the boss, but all was fine.. It turned out that the wire had come loose from the crimped connection, and although it was still crimped, it was no longer in the metal... Put a new connector on it, and fixed...

Hope yours is something simple like that ...

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
OK ... Now I have jinxed myself... Fixed the problem ... Worked fine last night, tested it this morning in the garage ... Drove out got down the road and stopped again ... Connection was fine this time ... So I got no idea... Can't find what fuse the horn runs off on the fuse box tho ... It is not listed .. Any know... It is a sires 2 VN...

Reaction score
Members Ride
bike :P
step 1: wind down window
step 2: scream obscenity of your choice
step 3: wind up window

Problem solved!

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
99% of horn problems are earth related, sounds like as you turn the wheel the earth loses contact at some positions, solution would be to pull it apart and make sure the earth wire is constantly in contact at all wheel positions.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
step 1: wind down window
step 2: scream obscenity of your choice
step 3: wind up window

Problem solved!

Hmm, it works, but different people have different methods of expressing displeasure. Back when I had my old falcon with the horn on the indicator stalk I used to enjoy applying the high beams and horn with one hand, with both middle fingers up and head out the window screaming obscenities at the moronic tourist who had cut me off on the roundabout forcing me to come to a sudden halt. Used to happen at least once a month due to a "confusing" roundabout. Well it confused moronic tourists anyway, when they did it to me it ended up terrifying them. I like to think I was performing a community service by educating newcomers to the area as to the dangers of approaching roundabouts without proper caution. Anway, I digress. The horn is fairly important should you wish to pass a roadworthy examination of any kind. So your method of communicating danger to other drivers, whilst perfectly acceptable to the vast majority of sensible people is not legally acceptable.

Yeah, kinda bored at the moment, this finite element analysis I've been running for the last half hour is still processing. If I've gotten a parameter wrong I'm going to scream.
EDIT: It just did the next best thing, hit 90% complete and crashed due to an alleged I/O error. Smooth with a capital SMOOTH.

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Horn is my favourite accessory too!
Air horns also are very good..
Not the shitty godfather theme either, but i mean the big F**K OFF beep!

Hehe

Not just tourists, but old people, dark people, light people, retarded people, P Platers... really just anyone that belongs to a minority group that you can discriminate against when they drive like idiots!