Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Horsepower capabilities of the ECOTEC v6

Adam_88

soon to be boosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
red VY Ute
ive done

4.2 stroker ($5500)
custom cam and solid lifters ($1500)
whipple 2.9 blower with a methanol injector in the back of it ($7000)
aluminium heads from the states (got them flowed over there) ($3500)
custom 3 inch w2a intercooler on a seperate cooling system ($1000)
concreted and machined the block good for 30psi ($4000)
and im still going.
it should be good for 550-600 rwhp

vy berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Berlina, series 2, ecotec v6
thanks Adam_88

wouldnt happen to have a thread with everything youve done? or could you pm, if its not too much trouble, what problems you incountred etc whilst building the car?

Adam_88

soon to be boosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
red VY Ute
the biggest problem ive encounterd so far is where the main end bolts go in there isnt much strength so i had to concrete the bottom water jackets to give it just a bit more strength so i can run a bit more boost whitch will mean im gunna have to run a good cooling system and methanol so it doesnt get to hot.
feel free to pm me with any more questions

vy berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
one_and_only2004 sorry to bother you but is there any progress on thoes graphs?

Adam_88 so have you put the engine together yet?

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
im going to add my two cents here. any engines properties can be likened to a see-saw. think of spark as the pivot point becuase thats what makes it go. and if you increase air intake, you also have to increase fuel proportionally in order to keep making more power. so as long as you can keep feeding more and more air and fuel in, in theory you can keep making more and more power. obviously there are limits to this theory but think of a basic engine @ 150kw, stick a bigger exhaust on to help scavenge therfore drawing more air in and letting more out, you may have just increased to 165kw but becuase of the different characteristics of the new exhaust, you might have lost a little low end torque becuase now theres not as much back pressure helping the engine at low revs.

pm me if you want any other specific theory type questions answered and ill do my best to answer them usefully.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
, you might have lost a little low end torque becuase now theres not as much back pressure helping the engine at low revs.

engines don't run better with back pressure. the simple reason engines don't work as well with large exhaust systems is because at low rpm the pipes are just to big for the given amount of exhaust volume. if the pipes are to large the exhaust cools to quickly and looses velocity.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
DynoKW.jpg

DynoNM.jpg

vy berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks one_and_only2004, really appreciate it. klampy, i might just take you up on that offer, but for now, in your oppinion what are the best mods to make power form the ECOTEC v6?

anyone elso with any information you think might help me, please feel free to reply :)

holden_4aw_lyfe

Tsu Tsu Tsu Tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin Turbo Stroked 4.2LT VT Berlina
I'm doing the same thing Adam 88 is. Check out my thread in this section. Might help ya :)