Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Horsepower capabilities of the ECOTEC v6

vy berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Berlina, series 2, ecotec v6
Hi everyone

I’m a student in year 12 in South Australia, and as part of the new SACE i am required to undertake a "research project" and i have chosen to research "the horsepower capabilities of the ECOTEC v6"

i was hoping that i could get some help from you guys, who have any knowledge or experience in modifying the ECOTEC v6. i would love to know what power is achievable, both in a NA application and forced induction. Are the cars still reliable once modified? what increase in fuel consumption could be expected once modified? What would some of these modifications cost? Would the car remain street legal once modified?

Please keep the comments clean and as positive as possible, as some of this may be may be published in my final report!

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
I car offer some help. I'm also in Adelaide

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
welcome to JC.

if you do a search in the V6 section but change the parameters for time to 2 years you will find heaps of threads about V6 builds and some of the results.

there is a good thread going about some dyno testing of different intakes and LPG at the mo

vy berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks everyone for the reply’s, RUF 231 I would love to take you up on that offer, pm me with your details so i can get in contact with you.

so, what I’m thinking to improve horsepower you would need

Extractors
High flow cats
2.5 inch cat back exhaust
A good cold air intake
Maybe a set of high ratio roller rockers
Custom tune

and from then on

Forced induction?

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great!

Thank you

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
You are welcome to spend 5-10k on my motor, turbo/supercharger, stroker, cam or whatever you think is best. I don't mind helping out for your research ;)

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
There are heaps of options before you go forced induction, cam, headwork, NOS, cubes etc.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
so what exactly are you after? our mods and the power they yield and our experiences or just how much can be done in na or psi builds?

vy berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Im after what power can be made, in a real life situation, like nobodys going to spend 100k on a v6, i want to know what can be made out of the ECOTEC v6 in reality

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
For straight out power the best HP for dollar is Nitrous, however then comes sooner or later having to strengthen everything anyway.

Depends on what you would call a "Real life" situation. Personally I've seen guys spend $10k on an Ecotec, and to me thats just insane. I'm planing on spending about $5k for a turbo setup, that would be more real-life. Or you can go your general owner who would do the normal exhaust, CAI, rockers, tune and that would come to about $1.5k.

Thank god I did the old SACE system, there were enough "projects" and "assignments" as it was let alone another bloody research thing (mind you I did the suicide 5).