Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hot fibreglass cover smell

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I thought this one may be more common but nothing came up in a brief search. I recently swapped my original cracking C4B GTS engine covers for replica fibreglass versions. They were in good condition so possibly fairly new, although sold as used. I've only driven back and forth a few times and of course it has that hot fibreglass smell each time like still baking. Nothing touching anywhere hot, factory brackets for 4-hole covers each side. That made me think, I've never had fibreglass covers before, only originals. How long does the hot burning smell last?! Does it bake over a few trips like fresh engine paint or a degreased engine and exhaust?!

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
It could take a few weeks to lose the VOC smell. The fastest way to get rid of it is to keep the cover exposed to heat but low humidity and allow it to ventilate as much as possible. So when you get home, park in the sun and lift the bonnet.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I'll just park it in the sun and stand there admiring it, like it's just posed for attention! Will give it a go, or drive it more, after Easter maybe! Cheers

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The acrylic and or epoxy resins used with the fibreglass will smell for some time yet.

Its normal. It’s fine.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
I want to be there to smell it.

Haiku ode to fiberglass:

Fumes dance on the breeze,
Whispers of resin and glass,
Sweetness in the air.

1712011614448.png

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Hmmmm. I patched the engine covers on my VX GTS with fibreglass around the bolt holes a number of times and never noticed any smell.