Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hot hot hot

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
today got rescued by RACV, thermostat was stuffed. crept right up to H so pulled over. there was apparently alot of air in my VR's radiator. so he bled that and filled it completely with water. works great now. need a new thermo and a coolant flush. how much am i looking for those?

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Hey Mate,

When i replaced my thermo stat i think it was about $17 directly from Holden it was under $20 anyways. Coolant flush is less then that :)

Cheers

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I hope you are just talking about the flush and not a whole cooling system flush (Dropping the water out of the radiator, Flushing out the block, flushing out the radiator etc) If that's the case you will be looking at about $40+ for the new Coolant and Flush.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
today got rescued by RACV, thermostat was stuffed. crept right up to H so pulled over. there was apparently alot of air in my VR's radiator. so he bled that and filled it completely with water. works great now. need a new thermo and a coolant flush. how much am i looking for those?

About $12 for a genuine GMH thermostat. The genuine holden coolant is about $50 for 5 litres, and you need 6 litres, so you need to get the 1 litre bottle as well.

If you are getting a shop to do it, I'd get the entire cooling system flushed and then refilled with quality coolant that is suitable for the commodore V6 engine... all of the premixed stuff is only 33% whereas it needs to be 50% for the V6 engine.

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
i did the flush today and when i disconnected the bottom hose not much water came out. flushed it and added 50/50 to it. and have only got about 5 litres into it. am i missing something?

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Nar that's just were your Thermo Housing is mate. You probably haven't tightened it up enough. I'm assuming you got another Thermo Stat gasket when you got the new Thermo Stat. Did you clean up any remains of the old one before you put the new one on?

Last edited:

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
yeh scraped it off, and put gasket goo on the new one and housing. but why is there stuff leaking from behind that, like up near where u top up the engine oil?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds like the inlet manifold is corroded and leaking coolant which probably caused the initial problem.