Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hot Vs - But No Go

vs2eggzec

Reaction score
G'day

Can anyone relate to my sob story.
since new my 97 vs2 auto exec 3.8 has a fit when ouside temp >30C.
will idle but not run, chokes.
This is not predictable but renders the car undriveable when it does happens.
spent big bucks on new injectors couple of years ago and it happened 2 weeks later on a 34C day in middle of no where, waited for cool change.

fuel pump?, crank angle?

appreciate any pointers

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Sorry can't relate too much but I'm sure I seen someone else with a similar problem a while back somewhere in the forum, sorry can't help where but have a look around. If memory serves I think it was the crank angle sensor getting too hot. Sorry but I don't think you will be alone on this one.

Try getting some of that spray cold in a can (try Dick smith)and cool the sensor next time it happens and see what gives.

Otherwise wait and see if someone who has a few more brain cells than me (thats at least 3) can help!

Kind regards GUY.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
guy i got 2 bain cells and i can tell him right now what his problem is, im amazed you didnt pick it up, it's simple, his car has stage fright!!!!! it likes cool day's, like me, i wont work above 31 degrees, cant say i blam it though, i mean, can you?

no, seriously, i do remember a bloke having those problems here before, it was his crank angle sensor it was in the vl section under the title "in trouble" give that ago, it might help, it's about 5 down from the top of the forum page.

i realy got to get a sense of humor, any idea's where i can get one of them for cheap? around the $3.50 mark? all im willing to spend

cheers
garth

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
have you thought about the possibility of vapour lock in your fuel system,on a hot day the fuel lines generally near your motor get hot and the fuel vapourises,,
cheers fergi

vs2eggzec

Reaction score
Thanks fergi,
I have had conficting advice on vapor lock.
Yes it could be a cause , however in pressurised systems like EFI I have been told it is unlikely due to the pressures in the fuel system (250 Kpa) and the fuel return system, oversupply of fuel is continually cycling back to the tank which should move any vapor blocks along quickly.

Regards

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
what about the carbon canister ,on a hot day lately mine has a smell at traffic lights of petrol ,i think it neds cleaning,i think there is a two valve on top of it ,maybe this could cause the problem,sounds like its starving for fuel
cheers fergi

T

tonysoprano

I just bought a 96 vs about 5 days ago and the very next day i had problems starting it when the engine was hot. anyway, the next day it cut out on me and wouldnt start for about an hour. Lukily i got it from a dealer and it is under warranty and they are replacing my crank angle sensor today. They (the auto electrician) have had the car for the last 3 days(bastards have seen more of it than i have!) and they couldnt' get the problem to show itself so they are guessing that it is the crankangle sensor and are replacing it. i dont mind coz im not paying for it but i hope this fixes the problem. its not been a good start and this is the first holden i have ever owned and so far im not very happy but i am hoping i will have few troubles after this.

ando

Reaction score
this is proberly not what your going through, but u may have the stereo turned up enuff to miss it. this is my problem - my vr commodore is a bit of a whoosy on hot days aswell ! as a rule the temp gauge wont move past the second stroke on the gauge, no more no less when the heat comes (30+) she plays right up. some times not wanting to start after a stop and parkup for a half hour.(resulting in codes 46 and 47, i think this is the cause of these errors but i did need a new key a month back so it could be related to the old key aswell ?) the temp gauge will creep up to 4 sometimes 5 strokes,when at a stop in traffic will run incredibly rough while idling will drop to real low revs then jump back upto correct idle speed again. my car will "bunny hop" 10 inches foward when then correct idle speed returns but also while my foot is on the brake!!!! but all this only when the air con is running. the air con likes to make a nice rattle, increasing in noise and roughness lasting about 1 maybe 2 seconds,causing the low revs and shaking feeling like its gonna just die - the air con, a second later stops vibrating the noise goes away shooting the revs up jolting the car forward. sits normaliy in traffic for 10 more seconds then does it again the noise and vibrations return for 1 maybe 2 seconds again then goes back to normal after yet another bunnyhop . in the span of about 2 mins at a set of lights it will do this maybe 10 times. i have yet to have this looked at any one got any ideas even if this isnt the same problem ? i will post this as a new topic aswell as i think about it !!.