Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hotdog mufflers

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Hey guys, interesting thread. At the moment my car is 100% stock. i have not gone for a roady yet because i need some new tyres. Im just wondering if i was to replace my 2 mufflers with hotdogs would it be road worthy?

Thanks Terry

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Hey guys, interesting thread. At the moment my car is 100% stock. i have not gone for a roady yet because i need some new tyres. Im just wondering if i was to replace my 2 mufflers with hotdogs would it be road worthy?

Thanks Terry

If you mean will it pass a R.W.C which i think you eastern states people have to have, i would say no, too loud :bang:

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
I would imagine it would be too loud to pass, also you have to keep the noxious emissions to legal standard.

Just as a side note, all this talk about sacrificing back-pressure is not technically necessary. Cars do not need exhaust back pressure, it is not a good thing to have. What you want is to find the balance between a smaller pipe which will produce back pressure, and a larger pipe which will allow the gasses to cool too quickly and lose velocity, hence creating a restriction.

To the best of my knowledge, a single 2 1/4", maybe 2.5" system at most, is about right for an ecotec, not sure about the 5L. I wouldn't know what sort of difference having hotdogs would make, I would think you would still run a 2 1/4" system though.

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
I have HM headers + a single 2.5 inch system with a hot dog at back on my 5L and it sounds pretty good i.e. not to loud but gets that V8 bark under heavy acceleration and slight back fire when backing off.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
I have HM headers + a single 2.5 inch system with a hot dog at back on my 5L and it sounds pretty good i.e. not to loud but gets that V8 bark under heavy acceleration and slight back fire when backing off.

So is the hotdog the only muffler or does it have a centre muffler/resonator and rear hotdog?

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
...sorry it also has a sports muffler (and cat.) together with the rear hot dog. At a recent sound off it put out 120db's, but I would expect it to be a bit louder under load.

Last edited:

GMBanisher

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH STATESMAN
Building my 2nd bns VS ute, had just the one hotdog on the last one and imo it sounded **** house, attracted unwanted attention, and just annoyed me at the end of the day.

I'd definitely have at least a sports muffler as well, but that is just my opinion.

Both of mine have had the Ecotec also.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
I have a coby hotdog resinator sitting around not doing anything, and am thinking of welding some flanges on the end and swapping it in place of my cat converter. I would like to know if I will need to put a heat shield over it to stop it cooking the underside of my car. Anyone else done this?

skweek

vr 355
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore
when i had my v6 manual i had the stock exhaust size with a highflow cat and dumped after the irs wishbone no hotdogs or mufflers just pipe and thats sounded hot and i never got defected or even looked at by the fellers in blue