Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hotdog mufflers

Ross D.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
iam contemplating on taking out my muffler and putting just a hotdog in. just wondering if anyone has done that? if i do it will there be any power lost? as in loosing back pressure or anything? and i know it will be hell loud.

just curious thats all.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
iam contemplating on taking out my muffler and putting just a hotdog in. just wondering if anyone has done that? if i do it will there be any power lost? as in loosing back pressure or anything? and i know it will be hell loud.

just curious thats all.

I want to do the same on my VS Ute but i dont have the guts to do it without someone else doing it before me :whistling keep me updated :thumbsup:

Ross D.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
well i want to find out if it will lose any back pressure first? or if it will lose enough for it to affect performance

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
na will be all good, you will have a couple of mufflers most likely, the sound will depend of which one you replace with a hotdog, if you replace both it will be loud, I used to have a car with just 1 hotdog in the whole system and it was loud. won't be any problems with back pressure, I have had cars that get worse (exhaust valves burning out) but that has been after about 2 years.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
na will be all good, you will have a couple of mufflers most likely, the sound will depend of which one you replace with a hotdog, if you replace both it will be loud, I used to have a car with just 1 hotdog in the whole system and it was loud. won't be any problems with back pressure, I have had cars that get worse (exhaust valves burning out) but that has been after about 2 years.

What you think about 2 large long hotdogs? Replacing the two stock mufflers? :yeah:

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
it'll be loud, you gotta remember that those hot dogs are basically like a straight pipe, they do have some sound resonating stuff around the inside diameter, I would suggest buying a decent good flow muffler (proper muffler with baffles etc) and a hot dog and see what that sounds like, its hard for me in NZ as we don't have to have catalytic converters on our cars, so thats the 1st thing I always get replaced with hotdog or straight pipe, unsure for you guys as you have to have a cat converter.

Ross D.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
i've only got one muffler now and it isnt even loud. sounds pretty nice tho. hmm not to keen on it now that you said **I have had cars that get worse (exhaust valves burning out) but that has been after about 2 years.**

what would that be from?

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
i've only got one muffler now and it isnt even loud. sounds pretty nice tho. hmm not to keen on it now that you said **I have had cars that get worse (exhaust valves burning out) but that has been after about 2 years.**

what would that be from?

My current exhaust consists of the centre resonator/muffler and is dumped before the diff since its a ute its legal but ill agree mine isn't even loud.
When i took it for a test run around the block with nothing from the cat onwards it sounded sick, and also had a little burble on deceleration similar to a V8 but a miniature version :w00t:

I don't think you could do anything to harm the engine by reducing back-pressure except sacrifice a little bit of low end for a better mid range and top end, i mean look at V8 Supercars, Formula One, Touring Cars etc none of these have mufflers and it doesn't harm them except they have less bottom end grunt.

But i may be wrong? I would like some opinions as i gotta do something to make my ute sound meaner asap :thumbsup:

Steve.D what you think about Exhaust Cutous lol, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ-t094ow-g&feature=related

Matt.

Last edited:

Ross D.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
My current exhaust consists of the centre resonator/muffler and is dumped before the diff since its a ute its legal but ill agree mine isn't even loud.
When i took it for a test run around the block with nothing from the cat onwards it sounded sick, and also had a little burble on deceleration similar to a V8 but a miniature version :w00t:

I don't think you could do anything to harm the engine by reducing back-pressure except sacrifice a little bit of low end for a better mid range and top end, i mean look at V8 Supercars, Formula One, Touring Cars etc none of these have mufflers and it doesn't harm them except they have less bottom end grunt.

But i may be wrong? I would like some opinions as i gotta do something to make my ute sound meaner asap :thumbsup:

Steve.D what you think about Exhaust Cutous lol, YouTube - HEMI Dual Exhaust Cutout Valves- Engine Running

Matt.

think you've mistaken me for my brother. i was even thinking of getting a stock exhaust from a exhaust place cause aren't they 2 1/4? and get all the mufflers cut out of that and only one hotdog and dump it just after or before the diff. would sovle the back pressure wouldnt it cause of the slightly smaller piping?

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
think you've mistaken me for my brother. i was even thinking of getting a stock exhaust from a exhaust place cause aren't they 2 1/4? and get all the mufflers cut out of that and only one hotdog and dump it just after or before the diff. would sovle the back pressure wouldnt it cause of the slightly smaller piping?

Shouldn't be any problem and sorry Ross.D i was reading the group buy thread and forgot that he posted on your account once.