Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How A Turbo Works

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
I have something to ask about turbo charging.

I want to know how it works and on my VN S2 what and why a tubo manifold
is different to the original.

I have looked at cars on this site which have a manifold which looks that same
i.e 3800 across the top but understand why you need to change it

could someone explain this to me?
pics would be helpful 2 if u can be bothered

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
So the top is the same, injectors,fuel rails,throttle body position etc.
just the exhaust has the turbo in it?
does that need the manifold to hang on or something?

revv_head

I DRIVE A V6 SS :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
lol. The turbo uses the exhaust gases to spin the turbine which inturn sucks in and compresses air from the air filter which goes through an intercooler which cools the air down making it more compressed before it comes out the other side of the turbo and into the throttle body. The used exhaust gas is then put out the waste gate and if you have a blow off valve this is what sets it off.

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
lol. The turbo uses the exhaust gases to spin the turbine which inturn sucks in and compresses air from the air filter which goes through an intercooler which cools the air down making it more compressed before it comes out the other side of the turbo and into the throttle body. The used exhaust gas is then put out the waste gate and if you have a blow off valve this is what sets it off.

Not quite. HowStuffWorks "How Turbochargers Work"

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V

Are you ****ing serious?

Sorry, but thats the only thing that came to my mind after reading that.

Cooling the air cant possibly compress it more. Colder air = more dense = more power. And once its compressed it cant re-enter the turbo, which doesnt make sense anyway because you just cooled through your compressing intercooler. Used exhaust gas goes straight out the exhaust. A wastegate is to regulate the exhaust pressure feeding the turbo. Blow off valves are activated by a change in throttle vacuum.

Last edited:

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged

Lol, I think the only part you got right was the bit about the exhaust spinning the turbine, rest = Fail.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
turbo, manifolds, supercharged injectors 36Lb's,2 bar MAP sensor,intercooler and pipe work ,if the turbo has an internal wastegate you wont need and external one,blow off valve,new chip for in the ecu, fuel pump with more flow

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
roughly how much. What do think of this turbo on once side black piping into the inter cooler sprayed black and run up inside the standard air box into the throttle body for full stealth. would this be possible?