Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How can i add traction control to a Stock VY Executive?

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Traction Control will not stop every bit of wheel spin. Have you seen top gear and heard them go on about some cars traction control being too aggresive and stopping all fun whilst switched on, whereas some other cars allow the wheels to be a little bit more happy before stepping in to stop the fun. Traction control on different cars/makes can behave very very differently.

Edit: Oh, and to the Original Poster.....its not worth the expense of trying to put traction control onto your car. Drive less aggressively and you will not require traction control. But if you do want traction control, then sell your car and go and buy an Acclaim/Berlina/Calais/SV6 etc that come with traction control. Cars are so cheap nowadays that it doesn't cost the earth to buy a car with the features you want.
For example, I picked up my 2004 VZ 190kw White Calais with 88k on the clock in great condition 18 months ago for $15k. There are bargains around. Just got to look. I would never buy anything other than a Berlina/Calais Spec Holden now as these come with all the fruit like climate control, ESP or traction, Power everthing, etc etc.

For your info check specs of cars here;

http://www.users.on.net/~nweber/commodore/

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Traction Control will not stop every bit of wheel spin. Have you seen top gear and heard them go on about some cars traction control being too aggresive and stopping all fun whilst switched on, whereas some other cars allow the wheels to be a little bit more happy before stepping in to stop the fun. Traction control on different cars/makes can behave very very differently.

Yeah but T/C on VY's (if working correctly) pretty much does stop all wheel spin. I'm talking from experience on my old VY SS.

The wheels will spin for a split second, then engine power is cut and the throttle pushes back on your foot like a MF. It's a pretty primitive system and a general PITA.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Surely there is something wrong with your traction control if the wheels still spin? That would be like if your wheels still lock up and you had ABS.

No there is nothing wrong with the traction control, just that it was originally set for thr std engine and the LS2 just overpowers it.
Road testers for MOTOR and Wheels back in 04/05 found the same thing, in a straight out drag start the wheels would still go up in smoke with too much throttle.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Yeah but T/C on VY's (if working correctly) pretty much does stop all wheel spin. I'm talking from experience on my old VY SS.

The wheels will spin for a split second, then engine power is cut and the throttle pushes back on your foot like a MF. It's a pretty primitive system and a general PITA.

That is exactly correct as I have previously said. Different cars with traction control have different characteristics. Some cars stop quite alot of wheelspin from occuring, whereas others allow alot of wheel spin before even thinking of kicking in and stopping the fun.

My VZ Calais has traction incorporated into the ESP program which is alot smarter system (don't think for a minute am I saying its the ultimate, buts its better than the VY's). Although I drive sedate and never engage the ESP/TC, when I have done a little bit of testing in the past, I find that the ESP seems to be less intrusive and you don't really know that its doing its job as much as the VY's due to other features such as CBC (corner brake control) etc. The VY had a more primitive system and did make the pedal push back onto the foot which is not a good feeling. My mate had a VY Calais for years with TC. The VZ seems to be alot less intrusive at times, but it isn't perfect.

The ESP though on the VZ's are amazing. I have done testing as this is my 1st car with ABS and with ESP. I have done ABS and ESP testing. ABS is amazing. Wet road, 80km/h and just hit the stop pedal and the car just comes to a stop with little fuss. Then with ESP, I have tried this also and its impossible to flick back end out even on wet roads or even going through roundabouts quicker. As you go through a roundabout, you hear the CBC working on the brakes of the car and keeping it going exactly where you need to and not spinning out. I love it.

This isn't how I drive on the roads all the time, I did some testing just so I got the know the car and its limitations.

Check below in the link about half way down the page and you will see info about the ESP on the VZ's:

Holden VZ Commodore / Calais - Media Release

croat_soldier

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan Police Pack
The car already has LSD but thats not good enough, as mentioned its no where near as good as t/c. Thanks anyways

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
why put traction control in a car??? stops all the fun. usauly you find people ask more questions about takeing them off...LOL

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
he cant drive if he needs traction controll lol

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
he cant drive if he needs traction controll lol

or he has a very heavy foot that he leg muscles get sore so he rests it on the peddle....

jayso92

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black 03 VY Storm UTE
well i got a 03 vy storm AUTO any apparently it has T/C but now im not to sure how it works, my brother has a 03 vy Spack also AUTO and i drove his last night and felt what T/C actually does and mine is nothin like his, his does like everyone says and lets a little spin of the wheels but then cuts out power and pushes the pedall back, do the same thing in my car and there is not engine cutout or pedall feedback, i pulled out the T/C fuse from under the steering the dash warning comes on and it doesnt seem to make all that much difference at all as far as letting wheels spin....
does this mean mine doesnt have T/C or what?

ps, u do not want T/C lol PITA

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Surely there is something wrong with your traction control if the wheels still spin? That would be like if your wheels still lock up and you had ABS.
i got a vy s2 and the t/c is pretty much a POS... wheels spin so it cuts the power and then it drops all the power back as soon as the wheels stop spinning... guaranteed to chug you across an intersection in the wet if you take off to aggressive
however never admit that you turn it off and just control the wheelspin as some douche will then say that youve lost control of your car and are driving like are hoon... at least thats what happened to me in a different post although im pretty sure the fact that im a p plater makes me a hoon anyway... if youve got an auto i cant see the need for it really but in a manual i can kinda understand