Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How can i add traction control to a Stock VY Executive?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I have VY II and like Haxzaw says - you have to be careful or you chug across intersections in the wet - I feel it is easier to control takeoff spin without t/c than it is with t/c. However, I do feel safer in the knowledge that the car has t/c when teh missus drives my car in the wet.

The worst thing is turning t/c off - and forgetting it is off.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No there is nothing wrong with the traction control, just that it was originally set for thr std engine and the LS2 just overpowers it.
Road testers for MOTOR and Wheels back in 04/05 found the same thing, in a straight out drag start the wheels would still go up in smoke with too much throttle.

You cant "overpower" a traction control system as its electronically controlled not mechanically.

I believe you can change how aggresive and intrusive it is with aftermarket tuning or turn it off altogether.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
The TC on my VY SS is crap. Safer to have it off in the wet. Sometimes it won't let my car move (Much) or it stops me in the middle of an intersection. I would rather the wheels spin a bit.

brokenikon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Maloo: 2008 VE SV6: 2004 VY II R8 Maloo
Interesting. I've found on the ve that the traction control likes to flash at me when it doesn't work. Usually Ive already worked that out,what with the sideways corner and all. I think it's ability to help stabilise the car only goes so far before it works out the driver is a complete idiot (me) and says "fine, go kill yourself then, I'm off for a drink"
I'm guessing it will be the same in the Maloo. In short, automatic control is a poor substitute for driving ability

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
The TC on my VY SS is crap. Safer to have it off in the wet. Sometimes it won't let my car move (Much) or it stops me in the middle of an intersection. I would rather the wheels spin a bit.

+1 on that. Nothing worse then having it happen. I have it happen alot when i am cornering at T-Intersections. It's so sensitive.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Interesting. I've found on the ve that the traction control likes to flash at me when it doesn't work. Usually Ive already worked that out,what with the sideways corner and all. I think it's ability to help stabilise the car only goes so far before it works out the driver is a complete idiot (me) and says "fine, go kill yourself then, I'm off for a drink"
I'm guessing it will be the same in the Maloo. In short, automatic control is a poor substitute for driving ability
the ve has stability control as well so i think its a little more severe... that and from being in my mates car im pretty sure it uses the brakes as well not just killing the power

B-roca

I’m an F-18, bro
Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
the ve has stability control as well so i think its a little more severe... that and from being in my mates car im pretty sure it uses the brakes as well not just killing the power

Actually our SV6 isn't very severe on the traction Control at all it will let you do a nice slide out of the drive way but it will use the brake just enough so that you don't spin off into the other lane. Its feels like is doesn't really cut and power it just plays with the brakes which is nice because you know its there but its not so intrusive that is busts your knee cap when the pedal shoots back up like in a vy.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
yeah my mates is a ute so i dunno if they made it slightly different to account for the loss of weight over the rear end... i just found it amusing cause he shat his pants when the car started to go sideways and shat himself some more when the tc kicked in lol... funniest bit of driving ive seen since my sister tried to drift on a dirt road in a toyota hilux 2 wheel drive lol

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
Actually our SV6 isn't very severe on the traction Control at all it will let you do a nice slide out of the drive way but it will use the brake just enough so that you don't spin off into the other lane. Its feels like is doesn't really cut and power it just plays with the brakes which is nice because you know its there but its not so intrusive that is busts your knee cap when the pedal shoots back up like in a vy.

it just wears your brakes out faster while you wear the rubber down.