Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How come my VZ SS doesn't say LSD on the diff?

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
I started doubting that I didn't have LSD during a burnout when only one wheel started spinning. Jack the rear up and sure enough I manually turn one wheel and the other wheel would spin the other direction.

I looked at the tag and it just says " HIGH PERFORMANCE" and use of something fluid

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
wow if its says it comes with lcd it should its not diff lock , once one wheel has no traction the other wheel should under a load.

When an open differential does its job, it ensures the same amount of torque travels to each wheel. The amount of torque actually applied to the wheels is limited by only two factors: equipment and traction. On the equipment side of the equation, you need an engine capable of producing the power and gears up to the task of transferring it. As far as traction goes, the wheel needs to be able to grip the ground without slipping, which can occur on ice, wet roads or even on dry ones if you floor the vehicle at a standstill. But what if only one wheel is on ice or in the mud? You wind up with one wheel spinning freely over the slippery substance, while the other wheel is reduced to the same torque. In other words, you'll have one wheel spinning in the mud and one wheel not rotating at all.

Limited slip differentials use various mechanisms to allow normal differential action during turns, while also solving the problem of slippage. When one powered tire slips, the LSD transfers more torque to the nonslipping wheel. As you might imagine, this makes all the difference between escaping a ditch and having to get out and push.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
.....deleted......

Last edited:

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
wow if its says it comes with lcd it should its not diff lock , once one wheel has no traction the other wheel should under a load.

When an open differential does its job, it ensures the same amount of torque travels to each wheel. The amount of torque actually applied to the wheels is limited by only two factors: equipment and traction. On the equipment side of the equation, you need an engine capable of producing the power and gears up to the task of transferring it. As far as traction goes, the wheel needs to be able to grip the ground without slipping, which can occur on ice, wet roads or even on dry ones if you floor the vehicle at a standstill. But what if only one wheel is on ice or in the mud? You wind up with one wheel spinning freely over the slippery substance, while the other wheel is reduced to the same torque. In other words, you'll have one wheel spinning in the mud and one wheel not rotating at all.

Limited slip differentials use various mechanisms to allow normal differential action during turns, while also solving the problem of slippage. When one powered tire slips, the LSD transfers more torque to the nonslipping wheel. As you might imagine, this makes all the difference between escaping a ditch and having to get out and push.

Thank for the lesson on how LSD Works matey!
But i just want to know if vz SSs indeed came without LSD. And if i do have LSD but doesn't say so on the gear itself.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
What year is the car , if it is a VZ built after 05 it may not have a limited slip diff , I'm only going on what the SV 6 is based on which is basically a SS with the HFV6 , with those only the 2005 models , like mine came with LSD .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
As TI3VOM said "High Performance" doesn't mean LSD it just means the Crown and pinion are shot peened for extra strength.
All M80 diffs are High Performance and LSD is an option unless specified as std with the car which most V8 are.
It seems unusual for a SS to come without LSD but Holden have done crazy option things in the past.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Alright...thanks for the info guys!

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
If your car still has the factory diff, it is an LSD. all VZ SS commodores came standard with LSD.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Well bugger me, I just checked my workshop manual and if you have a manual and the production code on your diff is AX, it is not LSD, just high performance as stated by Surf. If you have an Auto with code ZFF, it too is non LSD.
Manual LSD code is ZFS
Auto LSD code is ZFH