Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do dynos work?

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
i always thought you put your rear wheels on the roller-things and then the pooter told you how sik your ride was...

:p Exactly right! hahahaha

seanssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6spd man with WP power pack
Well after all that science stuff...I had my SS-V upgraded with a Walkinshaw power pack(sorry for repeating this if you've read it in the other posts that I've entered) and when my car was put on the dyno the factory setting was measured at 192kw at the rear wheels. When all the shouting was over it was increased to 226kws. So I got nearly 20% extra power or torque if you like. And it runs great, with no fatigue at all.

Dan0s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
ok dumb question but......i just bought my first car a vz sv6 and by the figures i've seen, people are only getting 140-150 kw out of them from the dyno, even though they are claimed to have 190kw
Could someone please explain this to me

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
ok dumb question but......i just bought my first car a vz sv6 and by the figures i've seen, people are only getting 140-150 kw out of them from the dyno, even though they are claimed to have 190kw
Could someone please explain this to me

The 190kw will be rated at the flywheel. You lose power through the drive line so at the wheels power is going to be less. So the 190 is at the flywheel and the 140 - 150 will be at the wheels. Generally an auto loses more power than what a manual would.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
So I got nearly 20% extra power or torque if you like. And it runs great, with no fatigue at all.

The power and the torque are 2 different measurements. What was your stock versus post mods torque figure?

Dan0s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
The 190kw will be rated at the flywheel. You lose power through the drive line so at the wheels power is going to be less. So the 190 is at the flywheel and the 140 - 150 will be at the wheels. Generally an auto loses more power than what a manual would.

so is the flywheel purely engine power? without transfer the power to the wheels

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
so is the flywheel purely engine power? without transfer the power to the wheels

Correct. It's the power made by the engine, prior to that power being transfered to the rear wheels.

thebestsv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
v8 comodore wagen
My ol FG xr6t used to produce 410rwkw with basic bolt ons an e85.
My ss does 280rwkw, pretty sad ay

ST3V3

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ SV6
Thanks for the informing read