Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I do a Radiator Flush + Renew Coolant on my VT 3.8 Ltr Ecotech V6 1999

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Depends on the brand. As others have said, Nulon is good stuff. I find it last a long time and stays very clean inside my rad.....
and I only use tap water :hiding:

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
I've always used Tectalloy. I just know someone's gonna come on here and pan it now but it's been great for me. My family had a big workshop growing up (those were the days, hoists, brake machines, dyno, you name it) and we always used Tectalloy when doing radiator flushes. We also had one of those flushing machines too which sent compressed air and water through the system in multiple directions and despite how clean the discharge was the moment you changed the flow direction it would turn brown again. Anyway the Tectalloy has worked a treat for me and I run it at about 30/70 Tectalloy to distilled water however I would run a stronger brew if I lived anywhere really cold.

Also agree with Brett_jjj about having the front up when filling. I always do. Conversely, have it down when draining/flushing to get as much of the crap out as possible.

Using the machine made it really simple but not having access to it anymore when I choose to flush the cooling system now I flush once, refill with tap water, go for a quick spin, flush again, fill with coolant and distilled water. Remove the bottom radiator hose to drain and shove your garden hose into the radiator hose to flush through. Also, if you flush this way you'll need to remove your thermostat (and replace after) as the cold water will cause the thermostat to close and you'll just be draining your radiator, not flushing the crap from inside the block.

I would never use tap water other than to flush because alloy parts don't play well with tap water. Of course if you're selling it, who'd know? But that's what puts me off used cars. Who the hell ever knows what the previous owners have done!

And I've just noticed this thread is nearly three weeks old so you've probably already done it, hey? :D

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Depends on the brand. As others have said, Nulon is good stuff. I find it last a long time and stays very clean inside my rad.....
and I only use tap water :hiding:

On the tap water vs distilled water, I think it depends on where you live, Melbourne tap water is very soft and a lot better than a lot of areas, I have only ever used tap water and in the 30 plus years I have serviced my cars I have never had a problem. All the dealers and workshops I know around here just use tap water. In the late model cars I have had I have always used the Holden factory coolant.

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
Is this the Nulon Long Life Concentrate that everyone is talking about?

Nulon Red Long Life Anti-Freeze/Anti-Boil Concentrate - 5 Litre - Supercheap Auto Australia

Never seen a red coloured coolant before. I wonder if people confuse it with rust or oil or something when they see it in the radiator.

Also, does the VX Series 1, manual transmission, also require 12L of coolant/distilled mix? I never received a car manual. Is it possible to grab one from the internet?

Is it 50/50 mix (6L Coolant, 6L distilled water)?

Also what is a good radiator flush? Will this do?

Going to search for a tutorial on these forums but if I'm unable to find one anyone know the procedure?

I have new rubber hoses, thermostat, radiator, water pump that I will be doing so will it be something like:

1. Run radiator flush
  2. Drain Coolant
  3. Replace parts
  4. Have car facing uphill (to help with air pockets when filling)
  5. Turn air bleed valve 2-3 times as OP stated
  6. Have the heater on hot (why is this?)
  7. Use a 4L bottle and mix 2L coolant and 2L distilled water and mix well
  8. Repeat above until cooling system full

Cheers

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Heater on hot to flush heater core fully. With the heater valve off, as soon as you turned your heater on after the flush any crap in your heater core would flow straight in to your new clean coolant.

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
On the tap water vs distilled water, I think it depends on where you live, Melbourne tap water is very soft and a lot better than a lot of areas, I have only ever used tap water and in the 30 plus years I have serviced my cars I have never had a problem. All the dealers and workshops I know around here just use tap water. In the late model cars I have had I have always used the Holden factory coolant.

Well it all comes down to the minerals in the water and what chemical reactions they have with the alloy. In truth, I've run cars for extended periods on tap water, I just wouldn't recommend it and always use demineralised water after cleaning the system. Of course coolant will help retard the corrosion so you may well get away with it but there's no way I'd use it with alloy heads for example, other than in an emergency. Obviously not such an issue with an Ecotec.