Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do i get a harmonic balancer off an engine out of car?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
comments say the following so take your pick.

Use a 15/16 not 24 its much firmer, 1/4 ” Un. Bunnings don't have them. Fasteners Australia do and get 65 mm plus washers to pack them out on the puller. High tensile of course.

That thread isn't 1/4inch. Its fking 6mm metric

1/4 inch is 6.35mm.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
i got a rattle gun and big enough compressor but the only puller i have is a large 3 claw one would that do it?
It will get it off but most likely ruin the pulley. Fine if you plan on fitting a new one.

Use the rattle gun, although if the bolt is truely stuck in there the rattle gun may not work and you'll have to use a huge breaker bar (this has happened to me with a 500nm rattle gun). 3 claw puller is fine as long as you put all the claws behind the balancer and the bolt is totally loose and you've unscrewed it about a centimetre, just make sure the centre screw does't slip out of place. Old school trick is to drill a small dimple 2 or 3mm deep into the centre of the pulley bolt. IMO if it can't handle that it's kinda time for a new one anyway.

Check the timing wheel on the back of the balancer doesn't have any teeth bent in after you do it too.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Mine puts out 1,112 Nm max torque, working torque 881 Nm twin hammer and removes it fine, I don't know if that freeze your nuts off works on bolts but applying heat will help. If it turns your motor over can you remove the sump to lock the crank up.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
ok thanks for the tips ill try it today if the weather permits its on and off raining atm if it clears up ill go do it but looks like maby a day with no rain expected to do it as its also cold and i dont want to be wet and freezing :)

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
one more quick idea will this work finnish bolting rocket covers put water pump back on block water pipes and throttle body put spark plugs in to build up pressure? or wont that work

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
one more quick idea will this work finnish bolting rocket covers put water pump back on block water pipes and throttle body put spark plugs in to build up pressure? or wont that work

Won't work, just gives the engine compression but won't stop it turning over (even the compression won't add benefit), especially at the force you require.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
ok thought it might help as there is moor resistance to turn the bolt anti-clockwise as on a wrench with 24mm socket it just turns engine over

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
oh yes one more thing while ur looking at my posts R_J_K_ my top swap that i had problems with fuel was the ecu was not correctly pared to car and is now needing a dyno tune mechanics fault didn't pay for it to be fixed the air intake has been reduced and now its getting too much fuel hence it needs a dyno now, i even explained to the dyno tuners that i have a top swap and what i did to it and they aggree and say too that it will be fine once dyno
d and fuel is adjusted to correct levels the reduced air intake will help preserve the crank pistons and other stuff by reducing the combustion of the mixture

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
i had to bring that up srry as it was confirmed be the dyno tuner that a reduced air and fuel mixture will put less stress on the lower end as he put it. as i told him what i had done and what im hoping for at the end result.