Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I get the most out of Holden service?

T

tris

I leased my last Holden. I took it to a dealer to get some warrantee work done. When I picked it up at the end of the day I said to the guy "All fixed under warrantee - no charge right?" and he agreed. I couple months later I noticed they had charged the lease company (and therefore me) for the work. So basically the Holden service department lied to my face and stole from me.

Thing is... I like their cars and I just bought a new one (from the same dealer - I know... but they are around the corner from work and home) so will be dealing with them for the next three years for my 'free servicing'. The first one next week.

So.... I guess my question goes something like this:
My experience is that they are liars and thieves (am I the only one?) but if I go in there and treat them like I think they are suspect then I will end up on their **** list and get shoddy service. But of course I DO suspect them and want to know that they have done the right thing by me (and the car). Does anyone here have a successful tactic for getting these guys to do the right thing by you at service time?

Any hints appreciated.

V

VX_KN079

tris said:
I leased my last Holden. I took it to a dealer to get some warrantee work done. When I picked it up at the end of the day I said to the guy "All fixed under warrantee - no charge right?" and he agreed. I couple months later I noticed they had charged the lease company (and therefore me) for the work. So basically the Holden service department lied to my face and stole from me.

Thing is... I like their cars and I just bought a new one (from the same dealer - I know... but they are around the corner from work and home) so will be dealing with them for the next three years for my 'free servicing'. The first one next week.

So.... I guess my question goes something like this:
My experience is that they are liars and thieves (am I the only one?) but if I go in there and treat them like I think they are suspect then I will end up on their **** list and get shoddy service. But of course I DO suspect them and want to know that they have done the right thing by me (and the car). Does anyone here have a successful tactic for getting these guys to do the right thing by you at service time?

Any hints appreciated.

My first question is to calrify what you mean by "warranty work" and "servicing". I know someone else who actually thought taking a car to the dealer under warranty was "servicing". This was exaserbated by the fact the there was a Ford promotion for a while that included free SERVICING for the duration of the warranty period.

Scheduled servicing (every 10,000 or 15,000 depending on your model) will ALWAYS cost money. However, any faults on or in the car that are fixable under warranty will be done for free and you don't have to wait until the scheduled service interval to have warranty work done.

Hope this makes sense...

As for ensuring Warranty work is done for free. You need to get Holden to CLARIFY with you that they understand the car is in for a WARRANTY repair. Then when you go to pick it up you should be shown on a work order sheet what was done and the total price for work of $0.00. If there is a cost and they haven't called you to authorise it, then they can't charge you for it. I often get new wiper blades, light globes etc for free when I get services. Take the car in when they're needed and Holden replace them thinking that I won't care about $12 wiper blades or a $4 globe when I go to pay. I say to them "sorry I didn't authorise those and you're welcome to take them off" but then they have to put the old ones back which they have thrown out and the car is sitting out the front ready to go and no longer in the workshop and they just get pissed off and don't charge me. Its as much about knowing your rights and what the dealer is obliged to do for you as anything. PM me if you want.

Cheers...

Cheers...

T

tris

The warrantee work I originally described was a vehicle fault which was confirmed as being covered under warrantee at the time I took the vehicle in. I was charged none the less (even tho I confirmed that I would not be when I picked the car up).

With my current car, the scheduled servicing (including fluids, filters and labour) is free for the first 3 years or 45000k. This was part of the package when I purchased it.

I am not concerned about them charging me now (I have what they will and won't charge me for clearly defined and signed off on paper - and there is no longer a leasing company between them and me) rather I am wondering how to get the best from them. Given I don't get to talk directly to the mechanics, and that I don't trust the front room guys, I am looking for examples of other peoples experiences with Holden dealer service and how they got the best out of them for their car - without alienating them.

V

VX_KN079

Ah ok... That's a tough one. The front counter service guys won't usually influence the mechanics out the back (or downstairs or upstairs or however your dealer is configured).

The best advise I can give is book in on a Tuesday or Wednesday preferably. Never a Monday or a Friday. Tuesday & Wednesday IMHO are when they're most likely to be focussing on their work and not the weekend just gone or coming up.

Other than that, for me, it's having faith that I am taking my car to people representing the manufacturer. They have policies and procedures to follow so I won't be treated any differently than the next customer.

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
luckily in Australia we have very good cosumer protection laws. Whenever I feel I am being screwed I politely ask if they mind if I check what they are telling me with the Department of Fair Trading. If they say no, they do not mind, then I follow it up by saying "then you will not mind if I give them your name". Often the discussions then take a turn for the better.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hmmmmm - yes, interesting how much more notice is taken when you mention DFT, huh?? ;)

toey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I am a first time Holden owner (or lessee if you wanna get legal) and part of the lease says I have to take it to Holden for servicing.

So I took it there a few weeks ago, and they seemed really helpful and eager to see if there was anything wrong. I soon realised why they were so helpful and eager - the more problems I stated, the more they could charge me for fixing things.

Add that to the whole buying process I went through when the finance guy I dealt with basically said the offer the sales guy made to me meant nothing (sales guy agreed to sell it to me for $12,000, finance guy said he could only sell it to me for $14,000), I now have lost all trust in anyone working in this industry. They, along with real estate agents, trigger my protective senses and radar like no other.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
woahhh thread dig! haha

do holden still do the free wash with every service? they never did a very good job, but about $8 worth of a wash :p wouldnt be suprised if they dont anymore

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
Have never had mine washed?

Last time I had my car in they took a while to find it, their excuse was it was still being washed. Funny enough they finally brought it out, and of course it hadn't been touched lol.

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
I recently got my heater core replaced at holden. They had given me a quote over the phone which was reasonable. After they finished they tried to add an extra $700 to the price, I gave them a piece of my mind then the dropped the price to below the quote I got over the phone.

While I was waiting for my curtsy car there was an old man getting a repair, they told him that its gonna cost him $800 for a new throttle body, $500 for a new rear window wiper motor and $1300 for a new ECU.

There was also a woman with a problem with her fuel system discussing prices with one of the guys. On my way out I noticed she was getting into a VE (there were a lot of VE's recalled for a fuel system problem). I mentioned this to her before I left. 2 days later when I went to pick up my car I saw her again, she came up to me and gave me the tightest hug and said you just saved me 3 grand.

In the space of about an hour I saw 2 people getting screwed over so badly. Holden are scum, I feel so sorry for ppl who dont know sht about cars.