Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do I Identify Transmission

Toby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS & VE Berlina
Hi Guys, Do any of you know of a foolproof method of Identifying the model Transmission used? The car is a 1994 VR V6, I have been told its a series 2 but no where is this noted on the car, ( It has ABS ect ) THe label on the left side of the Bell housing is completly faded no visiable markings on it at all. Acording to my workshop manual it should be stamped on the back of the trannie just along the top of the pan I have spent an hour under the car with a tourch and a mirror only markings I have found is "8685871" I quoted this to a spare parts mob and they said it ment nothing. So my info to date is it will be either a 4HDD or 5HDD, But one not interchangable with the other, something about length and wiring loom's different. Any ideas?? Thanks.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Below is a link to AcDelco who re-manufacture transmissions - download the pdf file and it shows illustrations of exactly where the serial number is located plus what series was used where. In your case the 5hdd in the VR is identical to the 5hdd in the VS...from this you can figure that the 5hdd has the wiring connector with more connections and will not interchange with a 4hdd. Anyway, have a look as its a very interesting bit of data.
http://www.acdelco.com.au/Assets/acdelco_transmissions_catalogue.pdf

Toby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS & VE Berlina
Thanks for the reply Hako, I have been surprised with the amount of missinformation out there, Three different wreckers have given me different advice re: the possiable trannis so I made a call to a Fella that used to work for GMH and he confirmed what your link told me, The Info to date is that only one transmission was used in a 94 VR, not three as the wreckers claim, and the winner here is the 4HDD. I have to trust this as I still have failed in locating any relivent info from the housing on the Transmission. Thanks again.:bow:

BigBird

Reaction score
Members Ride
Captiva LX, VL Executive, VR Berlina
That's great info Hako as I was just about to ask the same questions. I love this forum, so informative!

BigBird

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
hm since VR used the buick motor does it used to same transmission?

Lindsay007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore
Below is a link to AcDelco who re-manufacture transmissions - download the pdf file and it shows illustrations of exactly where the serial number is located plus what series was used where. In your case the 5hdd in the VR is identical to the 5hdd in the VS...from this you can figure that the 5hdd has the wiring connector with more connections and will not interchange with a 4hdd. Anyway, have a look as its a very interesting bit of data.
http://www.acdelco.com.au/Assets/acdelco_transmissions_catalogue.pdf
Link doesn’t seem to work for me