Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I paint my fuel tank?

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
Hey,

I got an 80ltr tank sitting in the garage (to replace the 60ltr thats currently on the car) and im nearly finished scotchbriting and cleaning all the crap off it.

I am confused as to the best way to paint the tank. I have gotten myself a brochure of killrust spray/brush paints, and they have a system of "protect, prime and topcoat" ... but I wouldn't mind hearing about anyone's experience in painting their tank.

The condition of the tank is fairly good, no rust (except the very little "surface rust" that i can clean off with scotchbrite and elbow grease.)
And in most areas ive gone to bare metal.

I'm interested in silver for the tank and black for the straps.

Can anyone suggest the best type/brand of paint? and what steps to take?

(Note: I dont have a compressor and spraygun, so i can only brush it or pressure pack spray it)

thanks!

Mark.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
powder coat the straps & take the tank to a panel beaters to get painted it shouldnt cost much and the job will be better than any pressure pack job

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
powder coat the straps & take the tank to a panel beaters to get painted it shouldnt cost much and the job will be better than any pressure pack job

ahh ok... any ideas what it would cost? basing on the fact ill have it prepped in bare metal?