Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I remove diff gears?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Hey all, can someone please tell me what tools I need and how to remove diff gears from an R31 Skyline?

Also, what should I look for when checking the condition of the gears? Other than the condition of the teeth, looking for metal shards in the oil etc.?

I will have them professionally installed, I just wanna get em out myself.

Thanks heaps!

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
to be completly honest your better of buying a brand new set of gears as they are a matched pair.

the problem with fitting secondhand gears are the meshing on the teeth, which the gears wear and mesh together, when fitting secondhand ones to another diff housing, the gears will never mesh the same, so u will have to get the diff gears lapped. otherwise the diff will be noisy. and plus these secondhand gears get fatigue.

the price u pay these days for a new set of gears, + get warrenty there is just no point going a secondhand set.

I hope this info helps.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
To answer your question, I cant tell you exactly but if you go through some of last years street commodores they did a full write up there when they changed the gears on thier v6 vengeance project.

Hope this helps,
Steve.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
enhancedss said:
to be completly honest your better of buying a brand new set of gears as they are a matched pair.

the problem with fitting secondhand gears are the meshing on the teeth, which the gears wear and mesh together, when fitting secondhand ones to another diff housing, the gears will never mesh the same, so u will have to get the diff gears lapped. otherwise the diff will be noisy. and plus these secondhand gears get fatigue.

the price u pay these days for a new set of gears, + get warrenty there is just no point going a secondhand set.

I hope this info helps.

New gears are around $570 though arent they? Second hand are $50.. Pretty big difference. If I could find some in good condition... then it shouldnt be too bad? Or spend the extra and search for some out a VZ SS?

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
1991_Vn2nV said:
New gears are around $570 though arent they? Second hand are $50.. Pretty big difference. If I could find some in good condition... then it shouldnt be too bad? Or spend the extra and search for some out a VZ SS?

yeah approx that price, just cause a car has ratio u want doesnt mean that they will fit in your housing.

dont forget u also have to add labour, bearing/spacer kit, lsd shims, oil and friction modifier on top of what u pay for the gears, so youve gone to the point of doing all this work, and then fitted a secondhand set of gears that have fatigue set in, and prob done 200,000km's, and then add a figure on top for secondhand gears to be lapped, so u end up saving $150-$200, and drive away with no warrenty.

my opinion dont bother, just save a by new, and do it properly from day 1.

RVK 355

M0DERAT0R
Reaction score
Members Ride
The real R series 355
enhancedss said:

I hope this info helps.

enhancedss is correct, speak to the person who is goin to install the gears as they mite want you to mark the gears up so when the come to install the gears into your housing they will try and match it up, remeber the gears are a matched set so the same diff you get the crown wheel out of also get the pinion gear, to get the gears out, undo the big nut on the front of the pinon (locking up the diff some how), take the axels out, take the rear cover off, undo the 4bolts holding the center in, take the center out (usually needs some perswasion (sp) and pull it out straight) the pionon should pull out once you got the front yok off, to get the crown wheel off the bolts are a left hand thread, its alot easyer if you got a rattle gun