Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do i Remove Sump whilst motor still in car?

GC05Alloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 05
Anybody with info,
I have been reading for a short time on threads about sludge in VZ Alloytec engines. Mine has done now 230k's. After some research replaced the timing chains, put it all back together and the noise is still there. Lots of sludge found in the top end of the motor. Cleaned the best i could, However can anybody give me hints on removing the sump so i can clean pick up and sump pan.

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Motor has to be lifted or removed, my mate had the exact same problam, u couldnt even see the camshafts cos there was that much sludge, in the end i replaced the entire motor for him

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Or support engine and drop subframe.

seano87

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Acclaim Wagon
hi mate, i did this job and its not pretty. Un-do engine mounts, and jack up the engine as far as you can basically. its a tight squeeze but it can be done with engine still in the car ive done it twice

BigSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive MY06
hi mate, i did this job and its not pretty. Un-do engine mounts, and jack up the engine as far as you can basically. its a tight squeeze but it can be done with engine still in the car ive done it twice

hey mate, just wondering, why does the engine have to be jack up to remove the sump, dont you just undo the sump bolts??

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
hey mate, just wondering, why does the engine have to be jack up to remove the sump, dont you just undo the sump bolts??

Yeah, but after you undo the sump bolts, you have to get the actual sump out of there.

seano87

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Acclaim Wagon
after you undo the sump bolts the crossmember or k-frame as some ppl call it is still in the way, you have to undo the engine mounts and jack up the engine from behind the sump so you can lift it out over the crossmember. I will warn you this is a job not for the faint of heart, there is a lot that needs to be done before you can even get it to the stage of un doing the sump bolt, I am fairly experienced in most mechanical aspects of the car and have cert 2 in automotive and it was still hard work

BigSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive MY06
ahh ok f.e, so you jack up the car, chuck engine stands under it, undo the engine mounts, jack up the car from the back of the sump, undo sump bolts, remove sump. IS the oil pick up right there as you remove the sump, because thats why i want to know, ive done about 3 engine flushes and i want to clean out my oil pick up

eko

3kO
Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon to own vb commy end of year
quikest best solution i can advise you that i have done in past which works is drain ur oil fro the sump tighten the bolt up our 4 litres of the oil u drained ot into a tub or container or what ever mix 2 llitres of diesel into that pour it back in the engine run it for 15 minutes on idle or till it gets to its running tempreature once that is done gve it a rev turn the car of than drain your oil watch how much **** comes out of the engine