Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I remove the metal casing behind the steering wheel?

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Hey guys, bought a VL Commodore that was previously broken into. It doesnt have an ignition barrel and it looks like someone has got to the metal casing with a sledge hammer or something. I have a VH Commodore with a working barrel and the metal case is in good condition and am thinking of swapping it over. Any one know how to take it off?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
long time since i've done this but here goes (if the memory is working)

take off the steering wheel (obviously)

unplug the indicator stalk plug, unscrew the screws holding this in and take it out (may take a bit of working the plug slowly at an angle to feed it thought the small gap sideways)

undo the bolts holding the steering column to the dash and let it drop down a bit so you can see and access the rod going from the barrel to the ignition switch.

undo the ignition switch and remove so the rod is now free.

pop the circlip off the steering shaft and remove the washer (take note of how many washers and what order they go in, maybe some behind the housing aswell but i can't remember)

undo the 3 or 4 bolts/screws holding the housing to the steering column and carefully pull it forward.
do not yank it off incase the bearing binds on the shaft and starts to pull the shaft out, if this happens the plastic pins holding the 2 pieces of the collapsible steering shaft are broken and need to be replaced... not a fun job.

install in reverse order.

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Yah I figured it out after a while lol. Thanks for the reply. I am having a hell of a hard time putting the metal bit back on though the thing with the spring and the other one just dont want to go in their spot. Also, I done something stupid. I had no idea if the car would start so I connected a battery and everything lit up. I pushed in the rod and it fired up....but then I had no idea how to turn it off so I put one hand in my pocket and with the other one disconnected the ignition coil. It got a pretty big shock but luckily it was isolated to my fingers lol

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Yah I figured it out after a while lol. Thanks for the reply. I am having a hell of a hard time putting the metal bit back on though the thing with the spring and the other one just dont want to go in their spot. Also, I done something stupid. I had no idea if the car would start so I connected a battery and everything lit up. I pushed in the rod and it fired up....but then I had no idea how to turn it off so I put one hand in my pocket and with the other one disconnected the ignition coil. It got a pretty big shock but luckily it was isolated to my fingers lol

Why in gods name would you put your hand in your pocket?

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Why in gods name would you put your hand in your pocket?

Its just a habit of mine when dealing with high voltages (it was drilled into my when I was doing an electronics course). Its to stop you from instinctively touching the body of the car with one hand and taking the coil off with the other causing the voltage to travel through your heart.

Yes im paranoid like that lol.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thats probably the worst move you can make... Electricity takes the path of the least resistance. If you know you're going to get a whack then use the same hand thats touching the wire to touch earth. Keeps the path completly in your hand.... and the least painful.

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Thats probably the worst move you can make... Electricity takes the path of the least resistance. If you know you're going to get a whack then use the same hand thats touching the wire to touch earth. Keeps the path completly in your hand.... and the least painful.

Yeah true. I didnt touch any part of the car I made sure I only touched the boot of the lead but **** it still hurt lol.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
had you've grounded out the same hand, you may not have felt it.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
probably would have been a wiser move to disconnect the primary coil plug... it's not far away from the hurty side lol (a good coil with throw a spark that'll travel a couple of inches if it has no where else to go)
other popular choices, remove the fuel pump fuse or remove the efi fuse, alternatively just unplug the ignition switch

the spring and washers, push them down the shaft with a pair of pointy nose pliers or something big enough to make the span and push evenly, hold in place with a screw driver on 1 side and put the circlip back on, release pressure and it should be fine if you seated the circlip properly

Last edited: