Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I replace the fan

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hey guys,

Had a problem with the fan and found the problem was a burnt connection onto the actual fan. The connection had melted into the fan itself. So just to make sure there was no other problems I checked the wire to the fan and I have power. I went down to Pick and payless and removed a fan from a VS.

Here is the problem. At Pick and payless half the dash of the car was already removed so the removal of the fan was not as difficult as I first thought. However holding the fan in is three screws hard up against the firewall, back to front and hard to get to. When I removed the fan I just broke around the houses and removed the fan so I did not have to unscrew it from the rear. Replacing it into my VS I am not going to be able to remove and fit the replacement like the 'butcher' that I am when at Pick and Payless. How difficult is the job. Will I actually have to remove the whole dash. The airbox contected to the fan is a cow to remove on the day so I broke it:whistling. Any ideas to make the job easier when I remove and replace it.:D Has anone found a step by step guide to the fan replacement

Siggers86

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
i am currently pulling mine out at the moment, and have pulled the dash out, however I have found thats its not a nessasity, its harder than you think, tools you might need stubby philips screwdriver, and i mean real stubby, there are screws everywhere you just can't see them, the white hood that comes down over the fan can be removed, get that out of the way and there are about 6 screws holding the fan to the distro (air distrobution thing in the middle) there are 3 or 4 screws up inside the fan that will appear as if its screwed to the firewall, this is where you need the real stubby screw driver, I don't have one that small and even whent and bout a real small one, not small enough, so I am drilling a hole in the main support that goes right across the car, so i can get this one stupid screw out thats annoying me, once I have completed i will see if I can get some pics to help others.

Siggers86

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
I had no luck sorry I thought I had it but I believe there was one screw u couldn't get too right up
The top that not even drilling a direct hole could reach

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
I'm sitting tight waiting for you to finish the job.......I'm feeling a bit concerned with the replies. It sounds like your having a real **** of a time !