Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I replace VR wagon gas struts??

C

comblydore

Hi guys,

The gas struts which hold open the tailgate on my VR wagon are totally shot and won't stay open at all - you have to actually use one hand to hold it open which is a pain in the butt.

I have ordered a new set of aftermarket replacement ones which should be here any day. I'm a bit of a novice, so could someone please expalin to me in simple terms, how I remove the old ones, and how to fit the new ones???

Any help much appreciated :)

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
If they're the ones i'm thinking of, theres a little metal clip around the heads on both ends that you lever off with a flat head screwdriver or the likes of...
the strut should just pull off easily once they are off, then put the new struts on over the balls on each endand push the clips back over the heads.

Dougeh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
yeah mine are rooted too, Im goin to order in new ones soon but havnt got around it it yet, atm there is nothing on it at all and you can see how heavy a boot really is its crazy, these little buggers hold up a lot of weight no wonder they are buggered. but yeah do asMatty081 said, make sure boot doesnt fall on ur back, it hurts :)

deeranp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon
Matty081 said:
If they're the ones i'm thinking of, theres a little metal clip around the heads on both ends that you lever off with a flat head screwdriver or the likes of...

Something I learnt the hard way -- don't pull the clip all the way off,
just lever it off enough so that it's not holding on to the little balljoint
thingy. If you pull the clip all the way off you have a hard time getting
it back on.

A little smear of grease on the ball before you pop the new one on
is also probably a good idea.

Cheers,
DP