Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do I secure sub in the boot

chris100889

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore v6 3.8
Hey,
I recently hooked up my 12" sony (crap i know but free) sub and a bridged 2 channel amp. The sub is in the boot in a large ported enclosure with the amp mounted on top, the problem is, i don't know how I'm meant to secure the box down without damaging the fuel tank underneath? I really need to do something cause that heavy fu**er in the back sliding around doesn't seem safe lol. So how has every1 else secured their sub? Cheers guys.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Have you considered a heap of velcro? Not ideal I know but it's a temporary solution.

Apart from that you could always put some brackets on the box and then strap it to the side of the boot.

That's if you don't want to drill.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
haha i use to use stolen milk crates and bits of wood to jam it in.

WNTDVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Stato & Evo VII.
Heavy duty velcro is fine, i have 2 large strips (probably 80cm x 10cm) holding a box with 2 type R's in it which doesn't exactly make for the lightest box and i have never had a problem with movement...ever. When i smashed my old car it almost rolled...when i checked the boot the box hadn't moved at all!!!
Also, lots of car audio places use it as it's simple, cheap and effective.

chris100889

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore v6 3.8
thanks, i never thought velcro would hold it but if it holds 2, itll hold mine. where would i get decent velcro? im assuming velcro dots from big w wont cut it lol. cheers for the replys

Ra1d

omg thats the funky sh1t
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec, VL Exec
isnt it illegal to not have them secured to the floor? my sub and box arent secured but weighs about 40kgs....never moved once

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
Same, i have 2 x sony in box, weighs a s..t load, never moves, never strapped or anything to boot.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Defectable item, must be secured!

Properly?

Take sub out of box, drill hole in bottom, drill hole in boot floor, bolt box to floor using bolt and washers then put sub back in. It aint going anywhere!

Velco is a cheaper option! Not as effective.

aZk.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
In my old sedan I used bungee cords to strap it against the driver's side back corner. I used some foam to keep it the distance away so the sub could actually move.

In my wagon, I have some MDF lining the entire boot floor (for sliding drums in and out easily) and have a cut-out for the sub, with the amp bolted on brackets quite neatly behind the sub :D I was very proud of myself when I did it ;).