Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do I secure sub in the boot

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Defectable item, must be secured!

Properly?

Take sub out of box, drill hole in bottom, drill hole in boot floor, bolt box to floor using bolt and washers then put sub back in. It aint going anywhere!

Velco is a cheaper option! Not as effective.

aZk.

Does that mean I have to secure anything I have in the boot(esky, tools ect). This seams rather stupid to me. How is the sub gunna come through the seat into the cabin in an accident? Velcro may be cheaper but it still is not going to hold the sub in a crash.

50LTRv8

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Dont ask me, i didnt make the rules up!

All i know is you can be done for having unsecured heavy loads. So yes, it would include eskys etc.

Dont ask me how its a hazard in the boot but appharently it is and i was just pointing out the issue.

...youd be surprised what velcro can hold up. The idea is, if you try and slide velco together(then apart) you physically cant, however if you pull the strips apart by tearing them away then you can quite easily.

Depends on how much and the size of the velcro... im confident it can hold alot of weight in a forward moving motion.

aZk.

WNTDVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Stato & Evo VII.
Does that mean I have to secure anything I have in the boot(esky, tools ect). This seams rather stupid to me. How is the sub gunna come through the seat into the cabin in an accident? Velcro may be cheaper but it still is not going to hold the sub in a crash.
50LTRv8

Please refer to my first post, if you saw the photos of my car that were on here after the accident you would have a different view on that :). The velcro that is used is called 'rock strap', it's an industrial grade/strength.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
If you dropped your fuel tank, i suppose you could bolt it down to the boot floor using L shaped brackets from Bunnings and some decent thickness bolts. Making sure of course nothing is sticking out underneath preventing the fuel tank from being bolted back up correctly.

But yeah, you would have to wait until there is **** all fuel in your tank, then drop the tank.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
I just jacked up car looked underneath and thought ahh she'll be right. lol
I drilled it up towards the the back seats with some metal screws not overly long and it doesn't hit the fuel tank at all, docent even come close. Even back like right in the middle of the tank you could get away with drilling screws in there. You could even use slightly longer ones if you line up where the grooves go up and down on the tank. (If you know what I mean)
But yeah if you can be bothered taking the tank out that would be safer.
Good Luck Mate.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Why don't you bolt it to the metal bit under the boot striker. (metal between the tail lights and behind the carpet.) Thats where mine is bolted to.

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
isnt it illegal to not have them secured to the floor? my sub and box arent secured but weighs about 40kgs....never moved once

umm, heavier items tend to move more, its called inertia, you just dont drive hard enough.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Nah, he just isn't a ****head.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I stupidly had a 70kg+ (two 31kg subs + box) box not secured and it still moved around.

Velcro works but it does flush up your carpet in the boot and makes it very hard to get the box out if you need to. My velcro tore layers of MDF off the bottom of the box rather than coming unstuck from the carpet.

A false floor is a better way to secure a sub box but is also a lot more work.

chris100889

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore v6 3.8
false floor is heaps of effort lol. My first though was L brackets but I'm too worried about the fuel tank to do any drilling. That **** about getting defected is f***ing stupid...as if every time you put anything heavy in the car you have time to/can bolt it down, some rules are so messed up.
I went with velcro in the end and it works fine, its probably not the most safe option but in a crash I have worse things to worry about than the slim chance of my back seats falling down and my sub going on a killing spree.