Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do i take off the steering wheel

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
i dont know how to take off my sttering wheel on my s2 vn lexcen. i can take off the part where you press the horn (actually it was never there) then i can take off the bolts and then this metal plate thing comes off. and the wires for the horn un-attach. then i come across the problem. ther seems to be like this metal circular ring that is welded onto some other thing

cheers
matt

VNV6VENGEANCE

VeNgeance
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo
Once you get past the electrics (horn) there should be a bolt end with a nut on it. If you don't have a gear puller it could prove a real headf*ck as the steering wheels have been on there for a good 18 years. Can you take a pic of what your looking at ..? i've heard of dodgey ways to get the wheel off by smacking the bolt with a rubber mallet to ease the tension but don't do that as it can warp the steering column.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I bought puller, I have a standard one & a Sports one lol, they are less than $15.00 so go buy one, makes things so much easier......

D.

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
cheers. when my cam gets fixed, i will post.

basically, the is like a nut and bolt thing sticking out the front, i can take the bolt off with a spanner and then i got no idea....cheers
matt

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
just spray some crc or water dispersant or wd40 or whatever lube ya got all around the nut..

PUT THE NUT BACK ON THE THREAD AT LEAST 5 THREADS ... THE STEERING WHEEL CAN COME FREE AND FLY OFF WITHOUT WARNING ..

trust me .. i wore a lump on my forhead for days once

using your palms .. whack around the back of the steering wheel like a clock 1, 2, ,3,4, etc .. just work your way around the wheel . turn the wheel left to right without the car switched on too .. it can help free a sticky wheel.

basically .. it can be a tough job without a steering wheel puller. but if you persevere with it it WILL come free eventually. i resorted to using a slide hammer on whitevc's vc commy a few weeks back. :p sticky bastard that one.

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
you take the nut off and then what do you see? it is most likely that the steering wheel is just stuck on, its a very very small clearance so over time they sort of stick themselves together. get a big of steel, cut out 3 holes, one big one in the middle and 2 on the outside, make sure the 2 on the outside line up the the threads on the wheel and the middle with the steering collum, screw some bolts through the outside hole into the wheel and get a long bolt with a nut and put the nut on the steel faceing the wheel and screw it through it from the other side until it hits the colum then keep turning it and it will pull it off. that probably doesnt make sense but give it a shot and it will come together as you go along