Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do i wire up a kenwood cd player to my stock vx berlinas cd player?

vxberlina123

tyler
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
this kenwood cd player has the following wires:

blue/white - power control/motor antenna control wire

Brown - TEL mute wire

Blue - motor antenna control

White/black - (negative) front left speaker
White - (positive) front left speaker

Grey/black - (negative) front right speaker
Grey - (positive) front right speaker

Green/black - (negative) rear left speaker
Green - (positive) rear left speaker

Purple/black - (negative) rear right speaker
purple - (positive) rear right speaker

red - ignition wire
Yellow - battery wire
Black - earth

and as i said i have a vx berlina stock cd player that i want to wire it up to

thanks heaps if you can help

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
do you mean you want to replace your standard one?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Well i assume you want to replace the stock unit with the Kenwood one...so here goes...

Accesories - Yellow
Constant - Orange/White
Illumination - Brown/White
Earth - Black/White
12V OUTPUT - Yellow/Red
Radio Mute - Yellow/Black (VT onwards)
Antenna up - White (VR onwards)
Antenna down - Blue (VR onwards)
Illumination OUTPUT - Grey (VT onwards)

Speakers
Front Left (+) - Tan
Front Left (-) - Grey
Front Right (+) - Light/Green
Front Right (-) - Dark/Green
Rear Left (+) - Brown/Black
Rear Left (-) - Yellow/Blue
Rear Right (+) - Blue/Orange
Rear Right (-) - Blue/Black

So you need to connect the yellow wire to constant, red wire to accesories, black wire to earth and the blue antenna wire to the antenna "up".
Speakers as per above, dont worry about the telephone mute unless you have a handsfree phone kit.

To make the connections, you have a couple of options......if youre not confident in making solid electrical connections and/or dont have the tools.....you can buy a harness adpator from your local car audio store, but you'll still have to change a few wires around as usually they get a few mixed up. If you can make electrical connections and have the tools i can take you through the steps if you like.

vxberlina123

tyler
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
jsut got a few questions regarding the left over wires

i dont know where (on the commodore cd player) the illumination, 12v output, radio mute, antenna down and illumination down goes? can u help me out on them?

thanks

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
As far a the illumination wire goes, i wouldnt bother, it just dims the display when you turn your headlights on, which i think looks crap anyways, and i've never bothered with it.

vxberlina123

tyler
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
ok so i have wired up my speakers (im consused with the tan and greay as there are 2 greys and two tanns colours), ive wired up the earth, ive wired up my antenna control but now im stuck with everythin else lol... its confusing mee! there is no "orange/white" but there is an "orange black" im wonderin id u perhaps got them confused holdenboy? i dont know. haha very confused now

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Well those colours were taken from the sticky thread at the top of this section. If you have a test light or multimeter just test that orange / black wire for constant power. As far as the tan/grey wires go for the front left speaker, there is another grey wire which is illumination, and another "brown" wire but it has a white stripe (illumination too). The grey/tan speaker wires will be near each other on the plug, either one above the other or next to each other.....assuming you havent cut the plug off.

How are you making your connections? solder/tape, twist/tape or crimp on terminals?

vxberlina123

tyler
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
nah dont have a multimeter yet, i only just started an electrical apprenticeship. soon to get one though. but yes i connected the cd player up and its working fine now. because there is no orange/white i assumed u meant the orange/black so i twisted them together and it worked.

i havent got the antenna working yet, but i know i did put the two wires for the antenna up so i dont know whats going on there?

and one last thing i noticed last night... my cd player was incredibly hot! i was worried as i thought it may start a fire. like its reallly overheated... im just wondering if that's normal?? i havent screwed the cd player in properly yet as i may need to quickly take it out. hmm