Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How Do People Modify

VStooDie4

Rubber should be punished
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5l ST88TO & VT exec
I must admit, i do get annoyed that i work my guts out for a car that isnt as nice as some when others have everything paid for them. But i work hard for it and in a way that gives satisfaction. I guess its also jelousy, if someone else would pay for your stuff would you refuse?

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
IM the same, i work 3 jobs and really struggle to find any money at all to put on my baby, i got loan repayments and phone bills.... plus fuel. It crap. However, with all things in mind, i have started saving for my dream to come true, the 5-Speed manual box on my loungre room for is gonna get some Bloody use... Operation :M: is under way, $1200 and its done.

aZk.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
i put some money away into an account every week. then when i have enough for a mod that i want, i use that money. i did start putting $100 a week away but now my financial circumstances have change it has brought it down to $50 a week. with $100 a week that is $5200 a year. even with $50 a week thats $2600 a year. just gotta be patient mate you'll get there.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
My car was brought for me and alot of the mods are paid by my parents
Good luck to you mate, at least your honest!
You wouldn't be the first person to gain help from your parents to have a pride and joy.
You can bet your bottom dollar that i'll be there to spend spend spend when my boys are doing the car thing!

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i will take time off work to do work on my car. i spend too much money but then i save by not having it serviced :)

i don't do mods i just like keeping her run right. which she doesn't...

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
i can start work from 4am in the morning upto a 6pm finish, depending on what moood im in, im lucky in the sence i earn a heap of cash it can adverage anywhere from 1000 a week upto the 1700 mark, take home after tax figure, depending on how many hour's i do

i have the luxuray of a work vehicle, and a holden barina.

during apprenticeship all i could do was dodgy stuff up, make things work and try my hardest to keep the car running. im amazing half of the time it's still around to this day.

but i prioritized the things i was gonna do, i.e. what is more important, a motor, a gearbox or a decent braking system. so ofcourse brakes are important. so it was done first, i would do research first, find out exactly what i needed, i would take trips to wreckers take photo's so i knew exactly what i was looking at on different versions, and i would make a educated guess from there. i wouldnt atempt to do something unlease i had all the bits i needed on hand,i.e. all the tools, and all the parts, along with a backup plan if something went wrong.

that is how i did it, it takes time, gradual saving,it's all it takes

but the most importand peice of advice i could prob give, is dont be afraid to ask someone a question, no mater how dumb it may sound, could save you heaps of dollars in the end
cheers
garth

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
azkwazere said:
the 5-Speed manual box on my loungre room for is gonna get some Bloody use...

The lounge room floor is really not the place for a gearbox :D

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
tr3nt said:
I've been thinking about this a LOT lately.. Lets face it.. Roughly 80% of us car owners (JC Forums) are honest, full time workers on a 9-5/5 day week.l for one am STRUGGLING like hell to modify the VR.

For those of you that have larger rims 17's or higher, lowered with some engine **** done.. how did you do it? Bigger Loan?
When I first bought my VK & started modding it, I worked 2 jobs doing around 70 hours a week, saved and threw every last cent at the car.
Now Im just doing a 9-5 and still throwing money at it, saving is the best option, although I have had moment s of weakness where I have had a short term dip into my homeloan redraw to buy an engine and other things for the car when i havent had the cash available.

cheers
Scott

GLD-086

Reaction score
juzsvy said:
Good luck to you mate, at least your honest!
You wouldn't be the first person to gain help from your parents to have a pride and joy.
You can bet your bottom dollar that i'll be there to spend spend spend when my boys are doing the car thing!

Thanks mate.

Once I get a job, I want my next car to be fully paid and modded, out of my own money.:)

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
My car is on a loan $200 a month for the next two and a half years. Everytime i've looked at mods something has needed replacing. Save your money do your research if you know what you want look around to get the best price. During that time you will save more