Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do the stock struts/springs compare to lowered aftermarket for comfort?

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
Specifically KYB EXCEL-G and Lovells lowered springs, I'm interested in better handling but not too sure about less comfort.. Would the lowered Lovells and KYB struts still be a smoother ride than stock in a sportwagon? Does anyone know form experience how much of a difference it would make?

Also I've done a bit of searching and seen people mention to get lower springs for this front, is that accurate?

Cheers

Last edited:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
lowering will be stiffer ride, normal
quality shocks and springs can make a big difference from being just low and hard to low and comfortable
if you can get progressive rates for springs and shocks would be good
as they say cheap isnt good, good isnt cheap
lovells are a good spring, KYB's arent bad, depends on the level etc, could go with a boge/sach's, or better with a Koni, bilstien
you then need too look at swaybar bush's, and links, strut tops, LCA, caster arm bush's,
its not just the things that stop bounce, when it comes to handling

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Ok,just my opinion but the VE sits a fraction low standard,lowering further will do more damage than improve handling with all these speed bumps everywhere,shopping centres,streets,parking garages etc.
Stiffer springs,improved rate shockers etc are better way to go and keep the ride height standard,as i said just my opinion from someone that has been there and done it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Wasn’t happy with how mine sat. Early VE’s sat high in the back, where as a VF SS or SV6 sits nice.

The fronts are a smidge high for my liking and feel nice once dropped a little (not a lot) look and feel great.

In hind sight, I would have stuck VF SS springs in and used the spare cash for upgrading the sway bars and bushes.
A strut brace maybe.