Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do u remove the black strip from the doors

curry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S1
look i want to know wat it will look like and how u can take those stupid lookin blacktrips off ur doors does anyone no a way cheers

bluethunder_69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS 5.7 LS1 T56
yeh i would like to know this aswell
one of my strips is falling off anyway and wondering if it would be easier and look better to take em all of

IPCOlsenVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Commodore Equipe
Taking the black stipes is relatively easy however the removal of the tape/sikaflex is a pita. To get the strips off I'd suggest using a similar method to debadging (hair dyer and fishing line). As for the tape I remember reading on a forum that panel beater shops have a device called a cork wheel which does the job.

To see what cars look like with it off check used car places, they always do it.

You could always get them painted.

fullaaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ
i took the left side black strip off my car, looks way better. once you get the black plastic off. i used a razor blade very gently along to get the sikafelx as close to the paint as possible. then using the caramel wheel (available from auto paint shops) on a drill and get it off that way. You will need some prepsol and a rag of some sort to rub the remaining sikaflex off after you have attacked it with the caramel wheel.
You will need close to a whole weekend to do this properly. I dont agree with IPCOlsenVZ about the car yards doing it, They would be late 05/06 models that didnt come from the factory with this ugly black stripe.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Step 1... Boil a jug of water and pour it over the door/black strip. Once heated, the strips should come off relatively easy (you may need a razor blade to start pulling the edge off so you have something to grip.

Step 2... Buy a caramel wheel, use the caramel wheel to remove the left over sikaflex on the doors being careful not to leave the caramel wheel on the paint for too long.

And you're done...

Kordorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Patrol GU II
In Dealerships we use a air chisel with a flat blade attachment.
Combine this with a air pressure reg. and some lubricant it comes off easily.
The caramel wheel is quite effective, however, don't get the paint too hot or you will deform/distort the clear coat!

fullaaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ
what the hell is an air chisel? bluethunder i uploaded some in a previous post, i'll have a look tonight and upload some from home.