Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you get to and replace the climate control light bulbs in a VT?

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by Alex Khan, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Alex Khan

Alex Khan New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Calais V8
    How do you get to and replace the climate control light bulbs in a VT?

2. Dak

Dak Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim
    Climate control or dials? Dials you have to remove the dash surround then take out heater control panel. Can't remember if the bulbs are just in the back or you have to take the knobs off and unclip the front of it.

3. Aus78Formula

Aus78Formula Member

Members Ride:
    VX R8 Clubsport
    climate control is similar, in that you need to remove the facia, which extends down to include shifter area, then you have to remove the CC unit, and dismantle it as the globe holders are inside. Removing the radio is also handy for accessing plugs and extra room to wiggle it. There are 6 with globe holders for main lighting, 2 of these have a blue sleeve. There are 2 orange fixed diodes for switches, and two green fixed diodes for switches. I sourced a few used climate control units for spares, then sourced the good globes out of them for a fraction of the price of new globes, half of which were incorrect.
    I have photos if needed, if that's the type you are doing. Which area/lights are blown?

4. BlackVXGTS

BlackVXGTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
    You need to remove a few things first to get access to the ECC unit. Check out the attachment below. I've gone though this for a number of times for various reasons. Once your're there you will see the screws holding in the ECC unit and can remove the unit. One thing I've found is that it's often cheaper to purchase a complete unit from eBay rather than trying to purchase the individual globes. If you purchase replacement LED's instead of globes, make sure you have installed them correct way around, as they may be directional and only work the one way.

Attached Files:

5. Aus78Formula

Aus78Formula Member

Members Ride:
    VX R8 Clubsport
  6. berlina411

berlina411 Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). VX Berlina (Daily)
    $35 bucks for 1 globe!!!!! Are you kidding me?????
    BlackVXGTS is correct in the removal procedure. I bought 6 globes only, no holders from a local globe reseller quite some time back.
    From memory I think they were around $2.00 bucks each.

7. krusing

krusing Active Member

Members Ride:
    2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
    I had a VT Berlina & VX Berlina and had a similar issue with Climate Control Globes on both cars,
    Keeping in mind, they are illuminated every time you start the car, so they are bound to fail earlier than other filament globes,
    With a bit of ingenuity.
    I ended up buying and using 5mm Green LEDs, modifying them a little to fit the existing globe bases,
    then installing the Green LEDS in to both cars.
    it was a little bit of work, but as soon as I made one up, the rest were easy,
    but it paid off, I think the total cost approx. $6 in parts. [for both cars]
    "Keeping in mind, LEDs are polarity conscious" but it doesn't matter what side the resistor is connected to.
    That's when I improvised.
    what I did was -
    1) Reamed the existing globe base out by hand a little bit with 5mm or 3/16 drill bit to fit the 5mm LED
    [as I said by hand, not with a power drill]
    2) Removed the bottom locking ring from the LED, by placing carefully in a battery drill, and using a small file and filing the ring off,
    3) Slide the LED into the base to make sure it fits nicely, with the LED wires protruding from the base of the filtting,
    4) Wrap ONLY one of the LED wires around the globe base,
    5) Wrap ONE end of the resistor around the other side of the globe base,
    6) Then twist the other legs of the LED and the resistor together [that are protruding out the back of the base],
    use a little bit if solder "not to much heat", otherwise you will cook the LED"
    7) Trim the soldered join, and place a small piece of shrink sleaving over the solder join
    [with the LED & resisting sticking out the back the base, hence the shrink sleaving]
    8) May have to just use a pair of pliers to just squash the LED wire in place on the base,
    [if its still to big and wont fit on the climate control socket, may have to just file it a little with a small file]
    9) Just need to install them the correct way.
    10) And you wont need to install the green condom on the LED's, that they use on the old globes

While you have the Climate Control unit out to test they work,
    plug it in the loom,
    and turn the ignition on to test them, you will know if they will work.
    so if they don't work one way, remove them, turn them around 180deg and pop them in.
    After making sure they all work, re-assemble the dash,
    You will never have to replace a globe again. ;)

I did call the Dealer, but the genuine ones were a but pricey,:eek:

I used a slightly higher voltage reduction resistor than specified for 3Volt LEDs, which will make them last longer,
    so they will not be to Bright in the Climate Control Unit, and they will dim with the rest of the dash lights.

I had the cars for a number of years, and worked perfectly
    Hint: Just buy the standard Green 3.2 > .3.4 Volt, 5mm LED's as pictured [Not the ultra bright LED],
    and I used 900 ohm > 1k resistors, you could use a slightly higher resistor so they wont be to bright.
    Where the standard value resistor for a 3volt LED is approx. 600 > 700ohm.
    Attached is a image of the LED, Resistor and Shrink sleaving I used.
    [I found I had a couple left over]

Hope this helps :)
    Good Luck ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019 at 6:42 AM
    Lex likes this.