Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you guys mount your Amps?

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Gday guys, ive been doing some thinking about how ive got my current setup in my vt....i have mounted the amps at the back of the boot under the parcel shelf.

I don't like the way its setup.... does anybody have any tips or advice on whats a good way to mount my amps?
Its mainly because the heatsinks on them are rendered useless because they are not facing up and they heatup like hell in summer!

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
You'll have to let us know what room you have to play with....theres always the option of a semi false floor (basically you have layers - boot floor, MDF, amps mounted on MDF, then cover panel over the top with cutouts that just show the amps).

Or you could go with right angled brackets that screw into the underside of the parcel shelf, then you just mount the amps onto these brackets, basically so they just "float" below the parcel shelf in the boot.

Many, many options here mate ;)

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well...I have the whole boot to play with!!
At the moment i just have a 12" sealed enclosure pioneer sub nothing special but planning on getting dual 12's or something with a real deep note.

So yeah, essentially all the boot!!!
im down for sweet custom enclosures if they are easy to do.

I have two amps :)

Im pumped now!!! What other idea's do you have??

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Mate, i could be here for an hour or two going over all the options for mounting amps...it basically comes down to what you want in an install.

Whether it be practicality (able to still put stuff in your boot), stealthy (so when you open the boot you dont know theres any audio gear installed).

Semi show (where the amps are on show but still able to access the controls, still able to easily see the cables going to the amp/s)

Then complete show (where the amp/s are mounted in a way that just shows off the amp itself, and everything else is hidden....which means its kinda hard to adjust gains/filters etc. This option is what alot of people initially choose, but then realise how much work/time/money it requires to get the install to look amazing, they usually go for one of the first two options)

Choose your poison....lol.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well i guess at first something practical and neat. Conserving space i think is better then putting on a show. Id rarther just hide the cables as much as i could and it would look neat to me :)

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
hey i'm interested to know what other ideas are around, i was fine with 1 amp but now with 2 i'm not too sure how to go about mounting them. Cheers guys

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Not sure what the boot is like on the VT, but in my VP, there's a slight gap between the back of the rear seats, i cut 2 pieces of MDF board, and slid them in, and i've fixed my amps to them. I had to cut them in 2 seperate pieces so i could fit them in tightly. I havent trimmed it or anything, but does the job. Quick and cheap,,,,,

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
mounted upside down on the parcel shelf on mine. heatsinks are no issue. it has the shelf to disperse heat into. also another thought, video cards in computers have had heatsinks mounted upside down for years and had no issues

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep mounting amps upside down definately isnt a problem....done it for many customers (even mates cars), years later the amps are still working fine ;)

This method is a very good option if space is a concern....