Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you guys mount your Amps?

Trent1291

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S Pack
I built a mdf board and screwed my amp into it at the back of the boot so its on show with a neon coming down on it... looks pretty mint.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
My mounting method in a VZ - will work in a VT as well...

6mm Aluminium checkerplate (real stuff, not the Ricebarn plastic muck...) with a piano hinge along the front edge - swings down to get to the power/speaker wiring if needed. Amps mount "right way up", and the al plate gives additional heatisinking. My amps hardly break a sweat.

To finish off nicely the mounting screw threads are tapped into the plate, and the top surface can be buffed to a mirror shine - a light coat of lacquer keeps it looking that way. (my sub box now houses 2 x 12" units - at 2 cuft it's the perfect size for that setup... Just need a better sub amp now... )

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/car-audio/70602-stereo-planning-questions.html

Cheerz!

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
My mounting method in a VZ - will work in a VT as well...

6mm Aluminium checkerplate (real stuff, not the Ricebarn plastic muck...) with a piano hinge along the front edge - swings down to get to the power/speaker wiring if needed. Amps mount "right way up", and the al plate gives additional heatisinking. My amps hardly break a sweat.

To finish off nicely the mounting screw threads are tapped into the plate, and the top surface can be buffed to a mirror shine - a light coat of lacquer keeps it looking that way. (my sub box now houses 2 x 12" units - at 2 cuft it's the perfect size for that setup... Just need a better sub amp now... )

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/car-audio/70602-stereo-planning-questions.html

Cheerz!

I love that one mate, what do you attach the piano hinge to, the underside of the parcel shelf? Also, how to you secure the checkerplate with the amps on it when it is in the 'up' position?
Thanks mate :thumbsup:

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I built a mdf board and screwed my amp into it at the back of the boot so its on show with a neon coming down on it... looks pretty mint.

pics please?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
G'day DUK13Y - I will get back to you shortly Mate...

swweefu - theres a kind of "box section" along the forward edge of the shelf, the hinge is attached to the underside of that. Steel pop rivets. (don't use aluminium ones, vibrations from serious subs will eventually flog out the rivets and you'll get rattles - use a strip of foam double sided tape along here too, to prevent same...) ;)

Another pic here of the brackets (two on each side) which hold the "amp shelf" up. Basically a pair of "L" brackets, cut from 40x40x3mm aluminium angle, drilled and tapped - one with a clearance hole, the other with a M6 thread. The threaded bracket is attached underneath the parcel shelf, and the one with the clearance hole attached to the checkerplate.

Once the plate is swung up, allen-head 6mm screws go though, and get tightened up to stop rattles. (yeh, I know - broken record... I HATE RATTLES!) :D

That's it!

Attachments

• DSCF0075a.jpg
    DSCF0075a.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 304

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
G'day DUK13Y - I will get back to you shortly Mate...

swweefu - theres a kind of "box section" along the forward edge of the shelf, the hinge is attached to the underside of that. Steel pop rivets. (don't use aluminium ones, vibrations from serious subs will eventually flog out the rivets and you'll get rattles - use a strip of foam double sided tape along here too, to prevent same...) ;)

Another pic here of the brackets (two on each side) which hold the "amp shelf" up. Basically a pair of "L" brackets, cut from 40x40x3mm aluminium angle, drilled and tapped - one with a clearance hole, the other with a M6 thread. The threaded bracket is attached underneath the parcel shelf, and the one with the clearance hole attached to the checkerplate.

Once the plate is swung up, allen-head 6mm screws go though, and get tightened up to stop rattles. (yeh, I know - broken record... I HATE RATTLES!) :D

That's it!

Fantastic mate thanks heaps, i'll be doing this in a few weeks, i'll let you know how it goes!
Thanks again :thumbsup:

panda88

Reaction score
just make sure its mounted securely, had a shop mount mine upside down under the parcel tray, after two weeks the amp dropped and snapped some of the cables. Ended up just screwing it down to the floor.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Pez - depends on the individual amp really. If the amp is prone to overheating in even ideal install locations, then it might give trouble. If it's a normally "cool running" amp, it's most likely fine.

But definitely what Panda said about securely mounting it!! :thumbsup:

Cheerz.