Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you re-code a ignition key

J

jakeo1

do you know how to do it with out going to spend money if u could help please post back :)

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
i think you can take it to some locksmiths and they do it for about $50.

but other than that and taking it to holdens i dont think you can DIY.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Sorry mate. The formula for getting a key programmed is as follows:

Program key = Your money

If you take your money out of the equation, program key is also taken out. There is no easy way, and dont believe anything that anyone posts on here about holding the key buttons while the key is in acc and standing on your left nut etc etc.

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
I thought there was a way to do this yourself, i thought it was something like this, you use a working key to unlock the car and then leave the new key in ignition, use the working remote to lock the doors and then unlock and thats about it. My bro had to do it to his VT that is all i can remember im not sure if its the same as you guys are talking about. and dont hold me to this it may be completely wrong.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
i think ur right, because when i got my new key/keyhead from mr minit($80! much better than holdens $120) the locksmith told me i had to unlock the car with old key, then start the car with the new key, when i went to start it i turned it to start, it paused, then starting kicking over, where as before i did that, the new key wouldnt unlock the doors and stuff. Found that out cos i tried unlocking the car with new key and it wouldnt work, soon as i started the car, i turned it off and locked and un-locked the doors and started it with new key no problem.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Ebay, new key head $30 -$40 for a 2 - 3 button, programming ? anything from $30 - $50 depending on where ya go.

I bought an Ebay one for $30, works fine, cost me another $30 for the local guy to pop the bonnet connect the machine to the plug under the steering colum with his hand held programing machine, 5 min later your good to go.

$80 is a bit rough.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
have sex with the owner of a holden dealership its bound to get you a free key program

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Holden dealers will charge $45 to do it, its a rip off but what can you do.

evil_monkey

What if the person is the same sex as you?

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
BarloWorld holden quoted me $33. Bayswater locks quoted me $8 if i have a fully functional key and none programmed key head with blade.

So im waiting for my HSV head and t blade to arrive from ebay ($34) then off to a locksmith in hallan to get the blade cut for $17.50 and then off to bayswater locks.

holden007 said:
What if the person is the same sex as you?

Take it for the team.....

joesvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Wagon
evil_monkey said:
have sex with the owner of a holden dealership its bound to get you a free key program

You know any female holden dealership owners?? I want to buy a statesman.;)