Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you replace compartment under radio?

JamesD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series 2 (2001)
Hi all,

Sorry for all the stupid questions as of late ... I have yet another one!

The storage compartment under my radio in my Holden Commodore VX 2001 Sedan is busted (It's a common fault)
VT VX WH Statesman SS Calais Under Radio Compartment With LID | eBay

I want to visit a wreckers and pull one off another VX.
Does anyone know how to remove the existing compartment? Do you have to pull the whole dash apart?
Also, does anyone know the proper name for it?

Thanks in advance.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
do what I do use the wreckers cars as a learning curve
if your lucky some of the stuff is already broken or removed on each wreck

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
What is wrong with the compartment, if it is only the door not staying shut it is a 5 minute job and a couple of dollar part off ebay.

JamesD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series 2 (2001)
What is wrong with the compartment, if it is only the door not staying shut it is a 5 minute job and a couple of dollar part off ebay.

Mine just won't stay closed.
Do you know what part I'd need to fix it?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
to get at it, you'll need to remove the part of the console that surrounds the gear level. This may be done with a flat blade screwdriver, but be careful. Be sure to take car in unplugging/plugging the power window switch while you are at it. A trim remover kit is a good investment. Then, it is removed by about 4 phillips screws.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Yes you need to remove the dash trim that wraps around the gauge cluster. Then you can remove the two screws that hold it in place.

NSTG8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Maloo R8 + VX Berlina 5.7
to get the compartment out, you need to remove the gear shift surround/window switch surround.

First remove the rubber mat underneath the pocket (should just slide out) then undo the 2 screws that hold the fascia in place.
Use your hand to gently pry the fascia loose from the console (it's only clipped in) and if you have power windows unplug the switch assembly.

Then it's as simple as removing the 2 screws that hold the pocket in place and you're done!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You need one of these: VT VX VU WH Commodore Statesman Cupholder Radio Compartment Clip Catch Latch | eBay
A bit of a search on ebay and you can get them even cheaper.
It can be replaced without removing the compartment. Open the compartment (oh, I forgot, it's already open) then press hard on the right hand side, inside while pulling towards you and that releases the lid and closing mechanism. It's a bit hard to explain but once you have done it, it's easy.
If I get a chance tomorrow I will take some pics to help explain the procedure.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have done mine twice in the 13 years I have owned it, you don't have to pull all that stuff apart.

You remove the door by,
1. remove the pin on the bottom left side of the door (Should slide straight out)
2. Feel inside the right side of the compartment, there should be a hole near the back. Wedge a flat head screw driver into this hole whilst pulling the door towards you. The whole compartment should slide out with some force, mine popped out easily, I don't think I even used the screwdriver mentioned above,
I think I just wriggled it side to side.
The door and the hinge and latch that needs replacing are then in your hand.
3. You will see where the broken clip is, swap this for the new one and reassemble.
Takes 5 mins tops.

Here is a link to the part you need off ebay, they have gone up in price I am sure I only paid $3 or so when I bought mine. Holden charge over $20 for the latch,
it is only tiny the latch probably a little over 1cm long.
Holden CUP Holder NEW Console Catch Lock VT VX VY VZ VE HSV | eBay

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I have done mine twice in the 13 years I have owned it, you don't have to pull all that stuff apart.

You remove the door by,
1. remove the pin on the bottom left side of the door (Should slide straight out)
2. Feel inside the right side of the compartment, there should be a hole near the back. Wedge a flat head screw driver into this hole whilst pulling the door towards you. The whole compartment should slide out with some force, mine popped out easily, I don't think I even used the screwdriver mentioned above,
I think I just wriggled it side to side.
The door and the hinge and latch that needs replacing are then in your hand.
3. You will see where the broken clip is, swap this for the new one and reassemble.
Takes 5 mins tops.

Here is a link to the part you need off ebay, they have gone up in price I am sure I only paid $3 or so when I bought mine. Holden charge over $20 for the latch,
it is only tiny the latch probably a little over 1cm long.
Holden CUP Holder NEW Console Catch Lock VT VX VY VZ VE HSV | eBay
Oh yeah, I forgot about the pin.