Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you take apart the headlights

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
just put the lights back on the car... it looks cool but i just wish there was a way to dull out the old headlight outa plastic as its weathered and chipped...

anyone know of some polish or anything?
A bit of polish will shine up the lens nicely. To remove stone chips, sand them smooth with high grit (1500grit, then 2000+), then give it a buff.

iv done with retro...i opened lights in cooking oven and opened easily with no harm to lights.

iv installed mercedese bi-xenon projectors in lights..now the car has pure cut-off lights with sexy look.

here are the pics...
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3857/getattachmentfgf.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2631/getattachmentrmi.jpg

hope you guys like it...:)
Wow, those turned out tops! Nice work.

StormVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm Ute
I did this last week.

Make sure you put them back together in a dust free environment. If you look closely at mine they have specs of dust inside now.
Also, dont spray inside your parker hole!

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I did this last week.

Make sure you put them back together in a dust free environment. If you look closely at mine they have specs of dust inside now.
Also, dont spray inside your parker hole!

Mine too. You don't notice unless you actually look for imperfections. But from normal view, you can't tell at all.

StormVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm Ute
Got pics of the finished product?

Here is my write up and how to... linkage

It looks very similar to madgamer's finished product. Like DUK13Y said, it looks fine at a glance but if your face is 10cm from it you can see tiny dust specs.
I also used silicon seal after I put it back together so it was waterproof again.

Last edited:

nathan549

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt II s pack
so does this work with a hairdryer? just put the hair dryer on it and pry apart with a screwdriver? oh and what do you use to seal it back up?

valakis_vx

The Juggernaught Bitch!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 M6
dont know if a hairdryer would heat it up much, but when youre done you close up the headlight as much as you can, chuck it back in the oven and once the glue-sikaflex type sealand it soft, squeeze it back together, should go off fairly quick in cold conditions

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
so does this work with a hairdryer? just put the hair dryer on it and pry apart with a screwdriver? oh and what do you use to seal it back up?

Hair dryer takes forever. I spent an hour with the damn thing and got about 5cm. Oven method works heaps better.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
here is a brilliant way to take apart your headlights not involving the house hold oven that your light may not even fit in.