Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you undo the balancer pully bolt?

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
That is the method I have always used, except I lay the breaker bar and pipe across the chassis rail.
have also seen a mechanic use the chassis rail method.....also yeah, another good point made, u definately dont want the engine starting.lol

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
someone told me about your method brett, i thought it would damage the engine but atleast now i dont have to buy the tool

Mattrob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Berlina
The Gregorys has instructions for making the tool to hold the harmonic balance ,if you've got the gear to do it.

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
yeah i have seen that aswell, i would still prefer to use a breaker bar though, easier and faster!

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
i used the breaker bar starter motor method to get mine undone, you can also use the dr bob method preferably with an old drive belt, but basicly wrap the drive belt ontop of itself similarly like an oil filter removal tool works and wrap the excess onto a pully or ac compressor, if you got it the right way the belt will grip against itself and you can undo or tighten the bolt, remember your suppost to tighten the bolt backup to 300 odd nm.

Nzpure

VS L67
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs Supa6
Usually need a tool to get it back on i dunno if you can hit it on with a hammer enuff to start the bolt enuff to wind it on the rest of the way

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
when you do the bolt backup it will push it back in. You can do it up without any help but engine compression which will get it back in to where it should be but you need the belt method or other methods to stop the crank from turning to get it to proper tightness

sus steven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 AND VL CALAIS TURBO
yep chassis rail and a breaker bar crank the motor done then use a proper tool to get balancer off it about $60 or you can try leavering it off with something just don't bend the fins on the back but very hard and stupid to do. and to put it back on tap it with a hammer and to tighten it up get someone to put tension on the belt and tighten it up best u can

Chappo_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Ute V6 1996
For doing the bolt up, I think having a heavy bar made up to bolt onto the harmonic balancer is the go. I used loctite on the thread, and a sealer under the washer. There was sealer under the washer when I took mine out, it looked like that red stuff you use on welsh plugs. It probably dosen't do much, but I had some there, so I put some on. I got a good hold of the long socket bar with both hands and did it up as tight as I could, using the same force I needed to undo it, which was a bloody lot. It has been twelve months now, and it hasn't come undone. I will post a picture of the flat bar I bolted to the balancer tonight when I get home, or you can read up about it on this thread. I got the idea from Immortality, on of those clever Kiwis you hear about :)
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/code-46-47-a.98977?pagenumber=
Hope this helps.

Kiwicommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon 3.8
Well I got the bolt off with the starter motor fine. But could get the balncer of with the puller, stripped the puller bolts..........