Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you undo the balancer pully bolt?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Well I got the bolt off with the starter motor fine. But could get the balncer of with the puller, stripped the puller bolts..........

So how did you get it off? - hammer or 3 leg puller?

Chappo_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Ute V6 1996
Here is the photo of the bar I used.

Bad news mate about not being able to get the balancer off easy. Hope things improve quickly for you.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
you'll prob have to do the same as i did and use a claw puller against the crank bolt with some washers on it, mine even with that was solid and wouldn't come off without a tap with the hammer to help start slipping.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Need to undo a crank bolt on my donor engine but can't get it to move. We are trying to unwind it by going anticlockwise. Is this the right way or do we need to go clockwise. The 2' breaker was making the mounts flex and engine lift but the bolt wouldn't turn.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, conventional RH thread. Those suckers are tight, get a bigger bar :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My CP rattle gun would probably get it off. It got the one on the ute off no problem. Just my compressor needs a ute or trailer to move it lol. Plus it needs a separate circuit to run it.
Donor is not in my shed or even close. Looks like i need a peice of pipe on the bar. I was pretty shocked to see the bar flexing and the engine raise 30 - 40mm when we were hanging off it. Decent battery gun would undo it but they are exi and i have a pretty good air one.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
How are you stopping the crank from turning?

They are tight, most people struggle to do it by hand and most threads on here recommend using a ratchet put up against the chassis rail and then hitting the starter but it's not something I would recommend. I can undo em with a 600mm breaker bar most times but then I'm ~6'6" and 110kg so what I consider tight or impossible is different to others.

I have no doubt my Milwaukee 1/2 rattle gun would get it off but there isn't enough room in and engine bay to try without pulling other **** out and I CBF doing that ****.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
We jammed a piece of angle in the slot and wedged it into where the battery would normally sit, butted up to a piece of timber. I have the rear fan out and have stacks of clearance. It won't crank at min the starter is fucked. I want the timing cover off it otherwise i would leave it on.