Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How does MyLink get it's media-player icons?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I know "Gracenote" is used, but don't know what that means.

When playing off the USB stick, MyLink displays icons I've never seen before. Example, a Joe Cocker track off the Bodyguard soundtrack (yeah, yeah, I know :) ) ... ripped off CD to iTunes years ago, CDDB used to assign cover-art off the album & I've only seen that album cover-art before.

But MyLink shows an image of Joe Cocker.

Where's it coming from? No 'phone is linked, so it doesn't have intarwebz access.

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
It gets all this info from Gracenote. There's literally millions of songs/album covers saved in there.

It also is smart enough to know that if you use the voice recognition system (i.e. press the button on the steering wheel and talk to the car), and ask it to play the fab four and you have some beatles songs on your paired phone, it will search and find beatles songs to play for you....

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh, so Gracenote is a built-in database, internet connection not needed?
*sound of penny dropping*

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
Yes, basically a database built into the Mylink system. :)

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I think you will find the album icon is embedded in to the mp3 file using the ID3 tag, which Gracenote is able to read and display.

I had some poorly ripped mp3s with the wrong album cover, and thats exactly how it comes up on mylink.

You can actually read and edit the image on a PC if you wanted. Embedding Album Art in MP3 Files | Richard Farrar

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I often use Pandora via bluetooth, rather than connecting with the USB and using the in-built app. Often the album cover shown on the Mylink screen is different to what's shown in Pandora on the iPhone. Not sure how it marries up what to display on the screen, but somewhere in the Mylink system it must know something about it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think you will find the album icon is embedded in to the mp3 file using the ID3 tag, which Gracenote is able to read and display.

I had some poorly ripped mp3s with the wrong album cover, and thats exactly how it comes up on mylink.

You can actually read and edit the image on a PC if you wanted. Embedding Album Art in MP3 Files | Richard Farrar
I think MyLink is making decisions; I'm typing this on an iPad which was synched to the PC from which the USB stick's contents were copied, and the track in question shows the album-cover art which I expected as opposed to a stock picture of Joe Cocker on stage.