Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How does the VH variable wiper switch slot in?

EGG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Around 17 years ago I removed the variable wiper switch with vague plans to retro-fit it into a VR Calais. I never actually did that, so now I'm trying to put it back into the VH.

I'm unsure how it fits in?
  • The left switch (aerial?) is smaller and easily clicks into place.
  • The variable wiper switch (middle) is bigger and won't fit through the gap.
  • The right switch seems to be glued in, it doesn't want to budge.
Is something meant to clip the wiper switch in from behind? E.g. installed through that removable-venting which is just above all this.
It's possible I still have some kind of clip from this in the cupboard that I just haven't spotted.

Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20230618_153233 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20230618_153233 - Copy.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 95

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Doesn't appear to be any kind of flange around the face of the variable switch in your hand. Has it been broken out of the dash? Kinda looks like it's broken around the front corner where it would sit in the square hole?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
My memory tells me they had plastic tabs at the top and bottom of the switches that held them in,
Unfortunately they did become brittle and break off, so you had to hold them in with a dab of silicone.

EGG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Ok, posting this up for anyone else who gets stuck as this switch is totally different to all the pop-in switches.

To remove from dash:
  • Unplug the vent cover behind the switches, there are just lugs holding it in. Unplug the switch back there.
  • pull the plastic dial off the front of the switch
  • pull the metal clip out of the protuding column
  • turn the dial anti-clockwise. it looks like a small dial, but it's actually a big cylinder
  • pull this cylinder out
  • pull the internal housing of the switch towards you
The internal housing will only go in from the front of the dash, the external housing will only go in from the rear of the dash.