Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How does VZ fare in overall reliability?

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
pimp juice, just buy one, problems with cars on this forums make them look really bad, mainly because people with issues start looking for place like this to either winge and complain or ask advice

Alloytec cooling systems failures appear to be a recurring issue. Having personally experienced it myself, it is a major failing, and one that should never have arisen as frequently as folk seem to be experiencing (check out the number of forum threads about this issue).

I'm sure that there will be fanbois that will immediately leap to the defence of the Alloytec and basically state that cooling system issues are not really a problem, but for me, $4000 and a replacement engine later, I can assure you they are. Seems to me to be a rather f&@#$king expensive 'whinge' to me.

End of the day, the choice and the dollars are the OPs to do with what him/her decides.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Alloytec cooling systems failures appear to be a recurring issue. Having personally experienced it myself, it is a major failing, and one that should never have arisen as frequently as folk seem to be experiencing (check out the number of forum threads about this issue).

I'm sure that there will be fanbois that will immediately leap to the defence of the Alloytec and basically state that cooling system issues are not really a problem, but for me, $4000 and a replacement engine later, I can assure you they are. Seems to me to be a rather f&@#$king expensive 'whinge' to me.

End of the day, the choice and the dollars are the OPs to do with what him/her decides.
Cooling system issue on Alloytecs are no more common than ANY other type of motor out there.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi all,

Im sorry to ask this question, ive gone over this forum many times and there seems to be a few mixed reviews over VZ's general reliability.

I dont want to start a bashing thread or anything like that but I need to make a decision to purchase a wagon soon. Ive driven a few VZ sedan/wagons and they seem fine. My main reason to buy one is that:

1) Never had a commodore
2) The boot compartment in wagon is massive
3) Nice interiors and exteriors

Ive read here that people have had issues with diff clunk, alloytech rattle on start up which seem to be common etc so im pretty well informed. Some people even talk about warning lights on dash flashing randomly, central locking stuffing up etc.

Question is, that it seems some people dont really have issues while others have bad issues. Is it just luck of the draw?

Im having an absoloutly terrible run in my EL Fairmont and its reliability is disgusting. Cant wait to get rid of it.

I need to buy a car that will start everyday, take me to work with minimum fuss. I dont expect everything to work like a clock for the next 5 years, but dont want to be taking car in for a new power steering rack etc.

I know all cars have issues, but it seems that Commodore tend to have more than some. I am not a one eyed supporter of any car, but it just seems to be what I read out there.

Well I have had mine for about 6 months and I just love it. Bought it with 92,000 on it, now done 103,000. 2005 Executive

In my case, Oil Pressure Sensor - $30 part 2 minutes to fit. No biggie. Also front bushes - you should plan on doing those at some stage, but it's not really a hard job. I did it in an afternoon and I'm certainly not a skilled mechanic. Heard some scary timing chain stories, but there are a hell of a lot out there without timing chain issues as well. Fuel gauges can be a bit funny, misreading is common. Otherwise in my opinion, a very easy car to live with.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
Cooling system issue on Alloytecs are no more common than ANY other type of motor out there.

On my Alloytec, it was a major issue - %100 so. When an engine basically fails with overheating/cooling system issues at less than 130000km, then it is an issue - especially reinforced by dollars spent trying to solve the issue.

Say what you like pal, at the end of the day, it was the issue for me. Pure & simple, and not one I have experienced in any other vehicle at that age. But I'm sure you have the figures to back up your statement that they are no more common than ANY other type of motor out there (fanbois stuff).

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
You're always going to see all the complaints and hear the worst of any product all over the interweb on everything from cars to crackers. I think it's pretty rare for anybody to join forums to say "Hey great, no worries here!".

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Don't think the alloytec has any fanboys, its a mediocre engine that gets from A to B. The alloytec may not be bulletproof in comparison to the previous ecotec but serviced regularly you should have no problems. I've put close to 20000k on mine in the last 12 months and the biggest engine thing I've had to replace is the oil pressure sender. That being said a few of my bushes do need replacing but thats what you get with a 9 year old car with the stock bushes.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
On my Alloytec, it was a major issue - %100 so. When an engine basically fails with overheating/cooling system issues at less than 130000km, then it is an issue - especially reinforced by dollars spent trying to solve the issue.

Say what you like pal, at the end of the day, it was the issue for me. Pure & simple, and not one I have experienced in any other vehicle at that age. But I'm sure you have the figures to back up your statement that they are no more common than ANY other type of motor out there (fanbois stuff).
So because you had an issue, that makes it common? Lol.

I dont see an increased number of Alloytec powered cars in my workshop needing cooling system repairs to any other, let alone $4k's worth...although it would be nice if my customers all cooked their engines like you did.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
The sad part is, the vehicle itself was great - I've had two Commodore wagons in a row (VN & VZ), and they are brilliant as far a driving them is concerned. As far as my old VN was concerned, well for me it lasted until around 350000km, with everything worn out, but still going OK (in fact the VN is STILL being used as a daily drive by my partner's father).

The VZ wagon - brilliant handling for a wagon, and a great design - except for that Alloytec piece of rubbish, which for me personally - is a disaster. The V8 versions of the wagon would be much better.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
So because you had an issue, that makes it common? Lol.

I dont see an increased number of Alloytec powered cars in my workshop needing cooling system repairs to any other, let alone $4k's worth...although it would be nice if my customers all cooked their engines like you did.

So, where did I say it was common? And where did I say I cooked my engine? Making up a bit of stuff there.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
So, where did I say it was common? And where did I say I cooked my engine? Making up a bit of stuff there.

Not at all:-

Alloytec cooling systems failures appear to be a recurring issue.

, but for me, $4000 and a replacement engine later.