Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How does VZ fare in overall reliability?

pimpjuice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina wagon V6
Hi all,

Im sorry to ask this question, ive gone over this forum many times and there seems to be a few mixed reviews over VZ's general reliability.

I dont want to start a bashing thread or anything like that but I need to make a decision to purchase a wagon soon. Ive driven a few VZ sedan/wagons and they seem fine. My main reason to buy one is that:

1) Never had a commodore
2) The boot compartment in wagon is massive
3) Nice interiors and exteriors

Ive read here that people have had issues with diff clunk, alloytech rattle on start up which seem to be common etc so im pretty well informed. Some people even talk about warning lights on dash flashing randomly, central locking stuffing up etc.

Question is, that it seems some people dont really have issues while others have bad issues. Is it just luck of the draw?

Im having an absoloutly terrible run in my EL Fairmont and its reliability is disgusting. Cant wait to get rid of it.

I need to buy a car that will start everyday, take me to work with minimum fuss. I dont expect everything to work like a clock for the next 5 years, but dont want to be taking car in for a new power steering rack etc.

I know all cars have issues, but it seems that Commodore tend to have more than some. I am not a one eyed supporter of any car, but it just seems to be what I read out there.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
pimp juice, just buy one, problems with cars on this forums make them look really bad, mainly because people with issues start looking for place like this to either winge and complain or ask advice,

alloytec rattle is on every vz alloytec, this is just piston rattle, because of the way the engines are built, it isnt a problem, its part of the design, the pistons are more oval shaped when cold, holden spec says approx 1.5 minutes

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
My VZ alloytech has no rattle - or is that because I cant hear that well any more.

VZ issues. BCM stuff up, Diff may clunk and oil pressure switches die young.

All the dash related programming issues have all been sorted by now.

Good points for the VZ. Stops well, goes around corners well (for a family hack) driving position and seats are great. Economy is fantastic for a large v6.

I give the VZ 8.5 out of 10 for a family car. And now they are great value for money.

plane driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan Alloytec
I've had mine for 15 months and done 28,000 in it. So far so good. Haven't heard any rattles on start up. Only problem so far was an ever so slightly not tight enough clamp on the bottom radiator hose at the engine end and it was leaking a tiny bit under pressure. It lost about 3 litres of coolant over 6 months or so. There weren't any obvious puddles or drops on the driveway and it was picked up when I took it in for a service.
I had used several VR, VS and VT wagons from work (Telstra) and never had any trouble with them which is what made me go for the VZ I have now.

brockybabe0591

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vz commodore
Hi a few weeks ago i bort myself a vz v6 auto and so fair its been a good car i drive it a 1000 kms a week im loveing. But one qeston iv been worndering how meany kms will i get out of the motor will it do 300,000kms? Its had a good serves hisrty and been well taken care of atm its got 114,500 kms

Group C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Hi a few weeks ago i bort myself a vz v6 auto and so fair its been a good car i drive it a 1000 kms a week im loveing. But one qeston iv been worndering how meany kms will i get out of the motor will it do 300,000kms? Its had a good serves hisrty and been well taken care of atm its got 114,500 kms

Mine has just clocked over 200,000ks mate doesn't use a drop of oil, just service regularly and use good oil.. preventative maintenance is better than anything

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco

yeah just change the oil at 150,000 and 200,00 and itll be fine.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

300,000 will be pushing it but it's an easy 299,965 every day of the week. Just keep up with those oil changes.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Just drive it backwards to work once a week to take the k's off it and you'll be set.