Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO fix small dents in doors incl. trim removal w. pics (VN-VS)

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
So the other day I came back to my car to realise that someone had left a nice dent in my right rear door, probably hit it when trying to park next to me in a carpark. Although not very big, it still annoyed me a lot. I didn't want to drill a hole and pull out the dent like usual then fill it, because it's not scratched badly and touch up paint will fix it fine. So I decided to bang it out from behind, and write a small tutorial so other people can fix their minor dents. This tutorial also doubles as how to remove the door trim, although there already is a tutorial explaining that too.

Before you start reading, please note that this does not fix your dent perfectly. It is not a suitable way to fix dents in cars that you need to look perfect. My car is old and has probably been in many accidents, it has scratches all over, poor paint, other minor dents... So I wasn't worried about making it look perfect. Just better than it was before. This is suitable for the common VN-VS owner who can't be bothered drilling, pulling, filling, sanding, then painting.

YOU WILL NEED:
Flat Head screwdriver
Philips Head screwdriver
Hammer
Rag

So this is what you arrive to see. The lovely person who hit you couldn't even be bothered leaving a "Sorry" note.
SonyDSC-W80027.jpg

First thing we are going to do is to remove the door lock. Pry apart the orange tab from the side, as shown in the picture. Once it is out a little bit, start prying from the top of it until it pops out. The lock will then slide off.
SonyDSC-W80029.jpg

Here I have attempted you show you how it works so you better understand how to get it off. The orange tab grabs onto the thread to stop it from moving. Undo the screw behind the thread then lift out the bracket and save for later.
SonyDSC-W80030.jpg

Now remove the tab on the arm rest using your flathead and take out the 2 screws behind it. Remove the arm rest completely.
SonyDSC-W80031.jpg

It's time to remove the window winder, with our awesome friend the circlip. You can get a circlip tool if you want, but I find using a rag very simple and easy. It may take you 5 minutes the first time, but you'll get used to it. Insert a rag in between the spacer and the winder, and pull from side to side until it grabs the circlip and pulls it out. It shouldn't fly very far, because the rag will catch it. If you can't get it, turn the winder and try again (it depends which side the circlip was put on, facing the handle or away from it. View next picture to understand how a circlip works).
SonyDSC-W80033.jpg

If you don't understand the circlip, this picture will explain it for you. The circlip has 2 indents which keep it in place on the rod which has a channel for it. Visualise pulling the rag from left to right, and the rag grabbing an end of the circlip and pulling it off.
SonyDSC-W80034.jpg

Now you can pry away the door trim. Get your flathead and stick it in between the door and the trim and pry it off all the way around the door. Take care not to break the pins.
SonyDSC-W80035.jpg

Ah, great. The dent is exactly where I can't reach with a hammer. Don't worry, most of the dent will pop out easily. There are many holes in the metal, and I don't mind poking a hole through the plastic to get to them. You can remove the plastic if you want, but it doesn't do much, especially not in my door because someone has already cut a huge hole in it anyway. Poke your flathead through the hole you need, and bang on it with the hammer until the dent pops out. If there are certain bits that didn't come back far enough, just bang them with the flathead and hammer until they are near enough to where they should be. You can now understand why the drill and pull method works a lot better.
SonyDSC-W80037.jpg

You can do a pretty good job like this, as you can see mine is not perfect but I am happy with it. From other angles you'd never notice it was there, only this one because you can see the reflection of the trim on the ground. Note: From this angle, that line that goes all the way down the door actually has paint on it which makes it look like a huge dent. I assure you, it's not. It just needs a cut & polish. View the next picture to understand what I mean.
SonyDSC-W80038.jpg

See? No dent any more, only someone elses paint.
SonyDSC-W80039.jpg

Reverse your process to get it all back together. A note for the window winder: Attach the circlip to the winder as shown in the following picture. Then simply push it on to the rod until it clicks into place! Don't forget the spacer though...
SonyDSC-W80034.jpg

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Neat trick saves a few hundred bucks . Done the same sort of thing to my daughters pulsar but i stuck a table spoon to the end of the screwdriver with some blue tack so i wouldn't punch a hole through the door skin when i hit it with a hammer .

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS

Yeah good idea, don't want to make holes... That's what we are trying to avoid! I was going to use a small piece of wood but I couldn't hold it there, I didn't think to use blu-tack. Next time I definitely will, it makes it much safer!

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I have been meaning for months to do a "how to" on file finishing a panel . It's easier than it looks and there is no bog used . I Just need an old front guard and or door and a spare hour or two.

Rhino Racing

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn/vp Speedway Street Sedan
I had a couple of really deep dents taken out of my car by one of those paintless dent removal people. He did a great job and was really cheap too.
He used a selection of tools made into different shapes out of 3/8 stainless rod. Handle on one end for leverage and he also used a golfball with a 3/8 hole drileed in it to massage the dents out.......... You would not know that there was ever any dent there now. Wish i thought to have taken a pic to show ya how bad it was.Needed no paint touch ups at all.
Panel shop quotes around $350-400 for the 2 dents.
He took about an hour and a half and cost $80.
What a champ!
Maybe you can make some tools up like that?

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
I have been meaning for months to do a "how to" on file finishing a panel . It's easier than it looks and there is no bog used . I Just need an old front guard and or door and a spare hour or two.

I'm looking forward to reading that, would be very useful to me :)

I had a couple of really deep dents taken out of my car by one of those paintless dent removal people. He did a great job and was really cheap too.
He used a selection of tools made into different shapes out of 3/8 stainless rod. Handle on one end for leverage and he also used a golfball with a 3/8 hole drileed in it to massage the dents out.......... You would not know that there was ever any dent there now. Wish i thought to have taken a pic to show ya how bad it was.Needed no paint touch ups at all.
Panel shop quotes around $350-400 for the 2 dents.
He took about an hour and a half and cost $80.
What a champ!
Maybe you can make some tools up like that?

$80 is good for an hour and a halfs work, I assumed it would be a lot more for my small dint alone...
And if I get more dints I think I might make some tools based on that, my fix isn't exactly perfect and you definitely wouldn't want to do it on a newer car!

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
when i worked at G.M.H as a "dent knocker " we used tools made out of boot lid torsion bar springs to pop the dents out . Just cut them in half , heat the end up with an oxy torch then flatten and bend the end over so you can slide them inbetween the door and the intrusion bar that runs along the centre of the door . Also good for sliding under the bonnet reinforcements to pop dents out . You would be amazed at the amount of damage that has to be rectified on a bare shell before it gets painted.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I was quoted recently $400 to fix a dent in my drivers door by a panel beater, that did not include any paint work, it is a ****y dent about the same as yours "origional poster" and is more a graze then anything with what looks like a high powered BB gun hit it also.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
Are you going to have a crack at it yourself? If so please post some before and after pics! It's real easy and well worth saving those extra dollars. You could do a much better job than I did, it took me like 10 minutes because I had other things to do!

squinsquad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT series 2 3.8
Nicely done tutorial levymetal. Thanks.