Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VN-VP] How to Fix Steering Column Horn Contact VN Commodore

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
If your horn stops working it may be a worn out spring loaded contact which is part of the upper bearing assembly on the steering column. To replace it with a new one requires a whole new upper bearing assembly and a fair amount of work.
An easy fix which has worked well for me is to remove the steering wheel and using a suitable soldering iron put a blob of solder on top of the worn contact, do not overheat. Additionally a small brass nut can be soldered there if you want a harder surface. The solder blob should last for several years and can be reapplied easily when it wears out.

Last edited:

sapeter

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Vt Commodore 50th anniversary Edition
thanks for this tip, because my horn didnt work. I went out and brought myself a pair of air horns
and the bloody thing still dont work followed the diagram so now i have two horns that dont work.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Thanks for the heads up Wortus, I now have a working horn and can vent some angry on stupids drivers.

EmKa

Cupcake
Reaction score
Members Ride
El Falcon Futura S (shhhhh)
I was just thinking I need to work out how to get the horn working, it only works when the steering wheel is straight and it'll be my luck I fail rwc for it haha. Cheers buddy.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
Another way without removing the wheel.......grab a 9v battery clip like this 9V Batter snap - Standard - Jaycar Electronics
you only want the larger of the metal clips so drill out the rivet and remove it from the plug,clean up any rough edges ect.Next pull the top cover of the column you should see the metal spring loaded pin with a wire on the back, pull this back and with a pair of needle nose pliers position the 9v clip over the end of the metal pin, then push the pin firmly onto the clip and your done....
Id suggest putting a bit of cloth under the pin so if you drop the 9v clip it wont fall down into the column its a pig to get out if you do

doogzy94vr

nangalicious
Reaction score
Members Ride
v6 commy
thanks heaps man you have saved me heaps of hassle!

SS Robster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Super6
ive got a different issue where the horn contact is fine but the steering column is not grounded properly....
if i short between the horn contact and another piece of metal that is grounded the horn works.
but if short between the horn contact and the steering column (which is how the steering wheel horn button works) the horn doesnt work....

Does anyone know where the steering column is supposed to ground?
or a way to workaround this issue?

Edit:
I found the answer from this thread link
steering column grounds to the outside of the steering column via the upper bearing housing.

Last edited: