Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How-To: Flip Trunk Lid

harvma20

CarPC[====----] 50% Comp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
HOW TO:
FLIP TRUNK LID

This mod is extremely easy and gets a lot of attention aswell, it is great to show off your pumping sound system and those killer personalised plates at the same time.
During this mod you are not required to remove the boot lid itself, this job can be done by 1 person making it nice and easy.

MATERIALS
2 x 120mm lengths of 20x20 SHS
2 x 22mm lengths of 20nb (21mm) pipe
4 x 140mm lengths of 50x50 angle (trim down to shape)
2 x Nylon bushes to seat in the pipe
4 x Nylon washers 2mm thick to suit ½” Bolts
And Suitable sized pop rivets

Step-By-Step
1. BRACKETS take a length of SHS and cup the top with a file to sit the pipe snug (grinding a ‘V’ will be fine)
2. Place pipe on top (Pic 1) and weld in place
3. take pieces of angle and trim so that the heel is 25mm with the hump at the end(enough for the head of the bolt) (PIC 2)and leave the toe at 50mm, drill a 13mm hole 12.5mm in and up from the hump end. (REMEMBER TO MAKE BACK 2 BACK COPIES LEFT AND RIGHT)
4. Assemble bracket together as shown in (PIC 3), note the nylon bushes and washers are green, do not over tighten bolt yet
5. BOOT remove end dust cap where the boot lid is fixed to the brackets aswell as the top bolt holding the lid on only.
6. Slide pre-assembled bracket into original boot brackets, drill and rivet to hold the centre piece inside the tube.
7. drill angle and use as many rivets as you like to fix angles to the lid itself
8. tighten bolt tight now to sandwich the nylon washers(this will allow you to set the lid at whatever angle you like
9. remove the remaining original bolts from the lid, and swing lid by applying pressure to the centre of the lid (boot garnish)
10. and your done, you must reinstall the bolts before closing the lid or else the lid will not close properly and may fly off when driving
Note: this mod was done on a vr/vs commodore and sizes may be different
This is only a guide and i will not be held responsible for any damage caused when following it.

Attachments

• Piece 1.jpg
    Piece 1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,989
  • angle.jpg
    angle.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,818
  • Boot Bracket.jpg
    Boot Bracket.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,958
  • hinge4.jpg
    hinge4.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 5,510
  • side2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 7,604

petezor

i like icecream
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
nice nice work! will be doing this soon! :p

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
soo umm... does ur boot shut properly now? and plz tell me dere are no leaks wen it pisses down rain?

Last edited:

harvma20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
soo umm... does ur boot shut properly now? and plz tell me dere are no leaks wen it pisses down rain?

this mod does not effect the standard operation of the lid as it still used teh factory fixing positions, so no it wont leak, infact when it it tucked away, its like its not even there, had it done for 6 months+ no dramas

Youngblood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
top thread mate, looks awesome on ya car

can you post some more pics? thanks

harvma20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
can ya get all the materials at bunnings?

i guess u could, but the nylon bush i got from CBS (bearing shop) it is self lubricating, took me a day of driving and searching around

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
Looks very much like a DIY I've seen on AusMagnas..

Nice effect it made on the car mate, well done.