Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How Hard Is It To Remove A Vs Auto Gearbox

Vs_Esteem

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Esteem Series 2 Auto
As above how hard is it to do this job,gearbox has **** its self i believe,put it in drive or something an wont move,sometimes it does,so i wanna swap it with another box.rather a manual but the money isnt there for that

crumpet hunter

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v8
1 disconnet battery
2 take out tail shaft you need 14mm and a 15mm and a 13mm for center bearing
3 take off xmember and mount you need 17mm and 13mm
4 unplug speedo and main loom on the top of box drivers side
5 you might need to take off the exhaust if so unplug o2 sensers
6 undo the inspection cover at the front of the box you need 15mm and
7 undo the convertor bolts 17mm and push the converter back in the box with a big flat blad screw driver bettween the convertor and flex plate
8 undo the bellhousing bolt make shore the box is supported so it dont fall on you

have fun

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
take out tail shaft you need 14mm and a 15mm and a 13mm for center bearing

you should only need a 15mm for the tailshaft at the diff end, the nuts should self lock when undoing or tightning the bolts, thats what ive always been tought with commos anyway, but whatever works as long as you get it out aye :p

oh and dont forget about the brackets from the block to the auto, from memory they are a 12mm or a 13mm and can be a prick to get too, use a socket and a few extensions and you will be ok

goodluck with it, refitting can be easier with two people too.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
If you go to slide the trans back and it stops after a few cm it may be easier to unbolt the TC from the flex plate (3 bolts). That way you can just drop the box straight down the back of the engine rather than trying to slide the input shaft from the TC which is impossible unless you get it level.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
you should only need a 15mm for the tailshaft at the diff end, the nuts should self lock when undoing or tightning the bolts, thats what ive always been tought with commos anyway, but whatever works as long as you get it out aye :p

this is true, only after cutting the bolts off, did we realise they where self locking.. i can tell you i was quite pissed off as we didnt realise this before mincing the bolts.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you would be surprised how many people try to undo them nuts and round them off LOL.removing the auto is pretty easy as said above i pulled 2 out and put one back in 2 weekends ago did all 3 in 12 hours. im not going near another box for ages now LOL.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
WTF are self locking bolts ? and how do you undo them ?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
nah the nuts on the bolts lock in to the driveshaft flange and wont turn