Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How hard is it to service a transmission?

SIKVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina N/A V6 3.8
at work we have a auto trans flush kit... had this one commy that wouldn't get outta 2nd gear ran the machine flushed 10l of fluid through and man what a difference runs like a new box

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
1. Pan cleaned up and painted, Plug has been welded to pan for next time. When planning on doing this, trial fit the pan and mark where the plug will on. If you don't have the tools for this job be prepared to be raped over of it by local "tradesman" who'll make the job sound so technical and charge accordingly. (if only i was at dads garage)

I have found cylinder head repair shops to be most accomodating and reasonable with these little odd jobs as long as all they have to do is braze the fitting in... gave em the bits and they welded it in correctly for $10. I found obtaining a "spare" pan from the wreckers and getting the fitting in that one so its a straight swap when you do decide to dump the oil, easier if you only have one car...

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
ok......just did a service on my vr auto:wax:
drained about 6L out and the sump looked clean
no metal shavings or anything:yeah:
the oil looked bad (thin black and smelt bad)
swapped the filter and it looked clean(well not to bad)
the car still slips at the end of each gear when you stand on it and the kick down is slow , better than before, but i want better;)
the fluild level is right
do i just have to do another service to flush more crap oil out?
how many litres does it hold dry?

mines doing the same thing again :ranting: it done it a week after getting 3/4 rebuilt and it was a sticky throttle valve :cry: dont know what they done to fix it but he charged me another $150 on top of the $1300 I'd already spent on the darn thing.

Does it kick back when you do it manually?

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
ok ill share another way to change all the fluid, probably cheaper and use less oil than filling and dumping fillgin dumping and fillign again. drop the oil thats in the pan, take off the supply line that goes to the radiator (or your cooler) let that drip untill it stops, put the pan back on and fill her up. with the cooler line still off, best to have 3 people for this part
person 1: start the car and stay there ready to turn it off
person 2: monitoring the fluid level and topping up accordingly
person 3: watching the oil come out the cooling line, when it starts to come out clea, (like the oil you just put in) yell at person one to turn her off, fill her to correct level and put it through the gears and away you go.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
However you do it is fine, just long as your fairly sure you have gotten out all of the old fluid

bec22

Reaction score
Members Ride
vhrb30/vxs11v6
gave up
$750 reco box 12 month warrenty
put it in my self
runs perfect